international shipping!!!!!

Started by tomslik, March 24, 2005, 09:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Topsterguy"I wouldn't use UPS if my life depended on it! Up here in Canada they are just too expensive and too much hassle so very few people I know would use them. If I buy anything out of the US I ask if they will ship it USPS - if they say no that they use UPS I cancel the order and get it from someone that will use USPS.When I ship anything from up here I use the regualr postal service and it works just fine.

Yes I have had similar experiences with UPS in Australia. They have the Act together in the US but outside the US - forget it.

klassik

USPS all the way my friend.

I have had a lot of stuff sent to me and send quite a bit over there too.

I have always found them to be the cheapest and best service.

I would insure it though.

Craig
Before you criticise anyone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes :lol:

tomslik

Quote from: "klassik"USPS all the way my friend.

Craig

as i've never insured anything i've shipped, do you insure the shipping costs too?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

klassik

nope they only let you insure the cost of the item via the post office here and if I remember right it is the same from a USPS office.

We sent an item from Claremont California two days before we left and it was there a day after we got back. Thats four days. it was about 3 foot long and about 5 inches high and 5 inches wide. Thats not bad huh? Considering we lose more than half a day in the time zone difference.

Craig
Before you criticise anyone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes :lol:

tomslik

Quote from: "klassik"nope they only let you insure the cost of the item via the post office here and if I remember right it is the same from a USPS office.

We sent an item from Claremont California two days before we left and it was there a day after we got back. Thats four days. it was about 3 foot long and about 5 inches high and 5 inches wide. Thats not bad huh? Considering we lose more than half a day in the time zone difference.

Craig

sooo, what happens if they "lose" the item?
are you out the shipping money?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

they refund the shipping on a lost or damaged item.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Anonymous

Quote from: "klassik"USPS all the way my friend.

Craig

Craig,

That is OK for you to say as you are in Melbourne. I have used them once or twice and one experience by the time my goods came from Sydney with UPS it had the incorrect paper work for customs had been delivered by 3 different couriers via Sydney to me and took twice as long to get from Sydney to me than it did from the US to Sydney. To finish it took 6 months to sort ot the paper work for Customs and I was fined for the UPS Sydney mistake with the paperwork ( OUCH ).

UPS is A1 in the US but my suggestion ( speaking from experience ) outside the US. Just forget it.

Companies I deal for in the US will back me up on this.

Simon.

klassik

Basically yeah I think that is how it goes but, you should ask if there is an insurance for the shipping cost available. I myself have never asked.

Then again I can write that off on tax

Craig

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "klassik"nope they only let you insure the cost of the item via the post office here and if I remember right it is the same from a USPS office.

Craig

sooo, what happens if they "lose" the item?
are you out the shipping money?

I'm sure you can insure, but I have never bothered.  I use USPS as much as possible, and specify surface freight in most cases.  I have never had an item go missing, very relaible.  USPS will send most items down here for a fraction of the cost of UPS.  For larger items we use shipping agents.

The biggest problem for me has been getting some US firms to post items.  They all want to go UPS or Fedex, because it is easier for them. However, others, are very obliging and will post.