It roars, it stinks, it won't idle, but by God, it runs----

Started by brianangus, March 19, 2005, 12:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianangus

Just fired the engine in the roadster pickup--open headers---sounds like world war 3---big time stink---new paint  on engine and headers "heat curing"---garage full of smoke--heart going to explode with excitement. Had to pull my truck up to the garage door and boost the battery that is destined for hotrod duty---took forever to get gas up to the carburator. I can only assume that for it to run as well as it does that I must have got the timing chain and sprockets on correctly. I'm not sure, but I may be one tooth out on the distributor installation---had to turn the distributor body counterclockwise when viewed from the top untill the lump that sticks out on the side of the distributor cap was getting * cozy with the recessed firewall before it would run smooth. Don't seem to have any engine oil leaks (thank God)---however I see a small puddle of tranny fluid under the radiator---will have to check the tranny cooler connections at bottom of radiator.  Right now the engine will continue running if I keep diddling the accelerator pump slightly, but dies if I just let it idle---I think that is probably fuel starvation caused by bad float level in the old quadrajet. (I've never had that quadrajet apart, just scrubbed 20 years of dirt off the outside of it)---will get it rebuilt.---Am I happy---you bet your sweet bum I am.

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Quote from: "brianangus"Just fired the engine in the roadster pickup--

WHOO HOOOO  ( I bet you yelled that at least once, i always do!!!  :D )

Jbird

Quote from: "brianangus"open headers---sounds like world war 3---big time stink---new paint  on engine and headers "heat curing"---garage full of smoke--heart going to explode with excitement.

Another one bites the dust. If you like I can give you the phone number of our support group, it's called WGATTVHS&NOFUANHE (Weird guys addicted to the violence, heat, smoke & noise of firing up a new hotrod engine). We have a one step program. Step 1) build another one and fire that mutha up.  Congrats dude.    Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Dirk35

Congrats from here too! I am soooooooooo Jealous.

I feel Ill Never get mine running. I have my whole truck ready to start short of the radiator. Took the tranny back out to have it rebuilt while still waiting on the radiator recore. I decided to go ahead and put the 2" drop spindles in, and now I have come to realize that I HAVE to cut the front suspension (MII) out and move it about 1 inch back! I cannot even turn the wheels now that is sits at the right level cause the hit on the front of the fenders !

enjenjo

Quote from: "Dirk35"Congrats from here too! I am soooooooooo Jealous.

I feel Ill Never get mine running. I have my whole truck ready to start short of the radiator. Took the tranny back out to have it rebuilt while still waiting on the radiator recore. I decided to go ahead and put the 2" drop spindles in, and now I have come to realize that I HAVE to cut the front suspension (MII) out and move it about 1 inch back! I cannot even turn the wheels now that is sits at the right level cause the hit on the front of the fenders !

Trust me, move the wheel openings :lol:  For real.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Jbird"
Quote from: "brianangus"open headers---sounds like world war 3---big time stink---new paint  on engine and headers "heat curing"---garage full of smoke--heart going to explode with excitement.

Another one bites the dust. If you like I can give you the phone number of our support group, it's called WGATTVHS&NOFUANHE (Weird guys addicted to the violence, heat, smoke & noise of firing up a new hotrod engine). We have a one step program. Step 1) build another one and fire that mutha up.  Congrats dude.    Jbird 8)

I'll be able to sign up pretty soon.
gimme a couple weeks.
would be sooner, but I gotta work next weekend.
Congrats to Brianangus on a job well done

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "brianangus"Just fired the engine in the roadster pickup--open headers---sounds like world war 3---snip.---Am I happy---you bet your sweet bum I am.

And you should be; well done.
There is nothing like firing a fresh engine!

grazza

Yes indeed, a very pleasing time in the life of any young man.  Why cant they bottle the smell of a fresh engine when it is started for the first time, sure would knock Old Spice of the shelf.
Graeme
My Mind Is A Dangerous Place
I Should not be allowed to wander through there alone