Buying a 67 Jeep Gladiator tomorrow

Started by Gambler, February 29, 2004, 03:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gambler

Yep. thats right. Buying a 1967 Jeep Gladiator. 4 wheel drive, superwinch locking hubs, i think either the 327 or 360 V8.  Its rough, but I've passengered in it and liked it. Getting for $500 (friend needs $$) I need some body parts for it, but I already know that the Wagoneer, Cherokee, and J trucks of almost any year are all interchangable, and identical from the doors forward, so that makes parts easier to find. Anyone have any experience with these beasties?

Rambler Update: eehh..she has to vacate the premises shortly, and be flatbedded out here. Looks like its going to be sitting inthe driveway for a while.  I guess that gives me time to do the interior and exterior while I figure out what to do with the driveline (without access to welders, heavy tools, etc).

Oh, and had a baby girl last Tuesday, her name is Rowan Fern and she is beautiful :D

phat46

Well congratulations on the new arrival(s)  :D

river1

of both new arrivals.

congratulations on the baby.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

GPster

Take of the hubcaps and count the lugs. Somewhere along this model year I'll think you'l find the passenger cars had six lugs like chevy 4 wheel drives and the trucks had only 5 like Ford pick-ups. On top of that neither pattern is what you need for that Chevy car rear end in your Rambler. Well now you have something so you won't have to walk that last little bit on Sumner's ruins tour. Is it air conditioned? Congratulations to you and your other on the baby girl. GPster

Gambler

Quote from: "GPster"Take of the hubcaps and count the lugs. Somewhere along this model year I'll think you'l find the passenger cars had six lugs like chevy 4 wheel drives and the trucks had only 5 like Ford pick-ups. On top of that neither pattern is what you need for that Chevy car rear end in your Rambler. Well now you have something so you won't have to walk that last little bit on Sumner's ruins tour. Is it air conditioned? Congratulations to you and your other on the baby girl. GPster

On the wheels: Havent peered at the front ones without the caps, but the rear end is the standard GM 5x4 3/4.  Need to find a wheel with some deep backspacing, went from (guessing) 52" wide rear end to 54-56? So in order to stuff 15"s in that narrow skirt is going to be a challenge. The 14's just barely make it as it is (using them for rollers).

Yeah, the Jeep is rugged. Its a Kaiser AMC Jeep, with the 327 V8. 4.11 gears underneath, 4 speed manual . Top end is about 55 mph the way its set up. Really, all I plan to do is get a hood, a fender, and some lights that need replacing, and the body is set. What we discussed doing at some point is swapping in a 4bb intake (know where one is) at some point, and SEEING if a new distributor out of a rambler a few years newer than the 67 will fit in there, so I can get rid of the points (theres a 327 Rambler sitting in the junkyard nearby, same engine as the Jeep.)  Otherwise, the engine and mechanicals are solid, I do want to either have the alternator rebuilt or see if its possible to put in a 80 amp GM..bracket problems there, unless you know something about it *nudge nudge*.  
It also needs at some point (i love trucks) a new gas tank filler hose, new shocks (Rancho Air Shocks), maybe some helper springs, and I want to slap some 31-33's on there. Cant hurt the gas milage that much, since it only gets 10 to the gallon anyways...

Perhaps the Rambler is on the correct track. I was just trying to get it drivable, now I can concentrate on doing it right  :roll:

thanks for the congrats, she's a little doll, our first (I'm 29, and my girl Devon is 23, so its the perfect time I guess)

Gambler

Quote from: "river1"

of both new arrivals.

congratulations on the baby.

later jim

HAHA, thats awesome. Pic of critter below, will get one up of the Jeep soon.

Gambler

Quote from: "phat46"Well congratulations on the new arrival(s)  :D

Thanks alot!!

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

My Dad bought a Kaiser Jeepster a while back. They built them good back then, his is unrestored with 170K on it. No problems at all with the driveline, but it has some pretty bad Cancer.

Congratulations on the Baby too.

GPster

Ok For 5 x 4 3/4 Chevy wheels with the back spacing you need look at S 10 4X4 wheels. Keep the original wheel and tires for the new jeep as stand-bys. There's a coulple of guys coming your way in July from the north west. They're worried about brake in those mountain passes but I think a guy running a stock 235 six may also have problems with altitude. Don't worry. A little girl will make you old in no time. GPster