made a roll cage for the 32 on the weekend

Started by nzsimon, February 13, 2005, 08:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

Quote from: "C9"Looking very nice Simon.

Does the roll bar have additional points mounting it to the floor?
As in "4-point roll bar "etc?
I'm guessing it does.    **Yes it does there is a bit of Moly that runs from side to side that it bolts too

Aside from that are your seats low enough that the roll bar offers sufficient protection in the upside down mode?
Not knocking things, just that I see a lot of roll bars over here that are lower than the drivers head. **yes it is the same height as the screen I should be well under it

Aside from that, the nerf bar looks really good.
What diameter tubing did you use for that?   **32mm OD
50mm as on the roll bar?
That translates to .8mm less than 2" if I did the math right. **yep

Building a nerf similar to yours out of some 'on-hand' 1 3/4 or 1 5/8" x .120 wall tubing would work nicely for my 31 on 32 rails roadster.
(Which I'm actually getting back to work on after the move to Arizona.)

I wonder as well if the nerf bar's bends are a touch less than 90degrees or right at 90 degrees?
 **The nerf bar follows the curve of the body exactly so it is one continuous bend with the ends being tighter I have no idea of the radius
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

47convert

Looks good. How agout a tech on how you put the gas filler into the glass body.

nzsimon

Quote from: "47convert"Looks good. How agout a tech on how you put the gas filler into the glass body.

That was one of the easiest things

First I cut the old one out of the donor lexus with and angle grinder leaving plenty of meat around it

After I had stripped off the paint and all the glue I discovered that the inside and the outside were only held together by a couple of spot welds so I parted them

Then I had a nice steel hole with nice rolled edges and a gagged outer edge so I used the hole to mark the glass body then cut an opening in the glass then I countersunk all round the hole so the steel piece would sit in flush then I mixed up some resin and added some filler to make it a bit thicker and glued the steel piece in the opening

Then I took the rear piece and glassed it into the other side of the body

nzsimon

Now the Roll bar has a high stop brake light after a few days of fileing

It is an LED stop tail so I can use it as a tail light as well

Poida

Keep up the great work Simon. Not only is the '32 a great example of contemporary rod building but your continuing coverage makes the whole process really interesting.

My son has just started a stainless steel sheet metal worker's apprenticeship, and he is equally impressed. In fact, he only became interested in that line of work when I showed him the pride you had in your workmanship, and that many others were envious of your ability.

He has a Kiwi connection too - that is my black Tudor in the latest NZ Hot Rod magazine.

Poida

dpsmith

Another defector here( and a newbie at that ) I agree that it's good to watch cars coming together and complete the story so to speak
I don't have a project at the minute so I'm looking and learning
I watch with interest  
Nice looking car Simon , it's good to see you have as much crap under your bench as most people
David

nzsimon

Quote from: "dpsmith"Nice looking car Simon , it's good to see you have as much crap under your bench as most people
David

Thats not crap it's valuable antique stuff at least as far as I am concerned

My missus reads this what are you trying to do make me have a missus induced throw out it would be like giving blood

nzsimon

More progress on the roll bar I needed to tidy up where it went through the body and also make it very stiff so I made some rings out of 6mm alloy this stuff is very high grade it is the offcuts that they make spun 3 piece wheels out of

So i went down to the hardware store and bought 2 holesaws and make a trim ring
Figured out how many holes I needed and marked them out and drilled it all

A quick polish and it works a treat