starters & exhaust questions

Started by fatkoop, March 03, 2005, 09:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatkoop

Two questions:  I want to buy a mini-type starter.  SBC.  Best one? Best deal?  Next, I just finished building a complete exhaust system for my '36 coupe, headers, pipes, mufflers.  I would like to get the whole thing HPC or Jet-Hot coated, but at about $700 quoted, I'm beginning to think twice.  Would you paint a system with high temp paint?   Would it last reasonably well? Is it really worth the money to step up or just paint it every few seasons.  I could sure put the $700 to good use elseware.  Thanks  much.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've had good luck with eastwoods stainless paint on manny folds.

I have used black BBQ hi-temp paint on mufflers and tail pipes  with good service
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mr Cool

I would assume youre in Australia by the reference to HPC and jet-hot.
My complete exhaust cost me $525 for ceramic coating at HPC for extractors to tailpipe and its well worth the expense. It polished up really nicely for minimal effort, and it keeps clean and shiny.
Ive seen stove black used too, cheap at around $12 a can but messy, and very hard to keep clean. It can look out of place on anything but "rat" style too.
If its a nice car, spend the $$, you wont be sorry.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

fatkoop

I am in Colorado.  Yes, it's a nice old car, but it's a driver, not a high-end show piece, but very nice.  That's why I am really torn between spending that much on just the exhaust system, but I understand your statement about do it right the first time.  Thanks.

model a vette

I would make the system out of stainless, but I guess you are past that point now. The stainless will prevent rust but will discolor close to the engine. I wouldn't consider stainless headers as they look like crap unless your tuning powers are right on.
Ed

32tom

Quote from: "Crosley"I've had good luck with eastwoods stainless paint on manny folds.

I have used black BBQ hi-temp paint on mufflers and tail pipes  with good service

Yes I use Eastwoods brush on stainless paint on freshly bead blasted manifolds and welded headers. I just wipe down the rest of the pipes with thinner and brush it on.. I've had good luck with it.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

X38

Other than build the headers back with stainless, here's another consideration: HPC/Jet Hot coats the inside as well as outside, so you've got  internal rust protection, which paint doesn't provide.

Pay now or pay later. At least you have a choice!

Mr Cool

Quote from: "fatkoop"I am in Colorado.  Yes, it's a nice old car, but it's a driver, not a high-end show piece, but very nice.  That's why I am really torn between spending that much on just the exhaust system, but I understand your statement about do it right the first time.  Thanks.
So youve got the same businesses over there huh?
In that case I would say that US$700 is highway robbery. Mine was AU$525 which is about US$410.
Shop around and get a better price.
BTW, my zorst system included the cat converter sealed and coated on the outside only which is extra work. The extracters were second-hand, and had to be bead blasted first, and this was all included in the price too.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "32tom"
Quote from: "Crosley"I've had good luck with eastwoods stainless paint on manny folds.

Yes I use Eastwoods brush on stainless paint on freshly bead blasted manifolds and welded headers. I just wipe down the rest of the pipes with thinner and brush it on.. I've had good luck with it.

I used the eastwood stainless also and have 120,000 miles on the headers now and they don't look great anymore, but they aren't all rusted either.  I did the original pipes and mufflers with it also and it held up good until I blew the mufflers up.  On the new exhaust (pipes and muffler) I used one of the high temp spray-on paints and it has been holding up now and is a couple years old.

I've heard you can coat the inside of the headers/pipes with the stainless by taping some tennis balls on the ends of the pipe with paint inside and shaking it back and forth to coat the insides.  This would only work with clean new parts. I think you said your in Colo., I'm in Utah.  With the dry air here I don't think internal rust is a big problem on the pipes.  Like I said my headers are 12 years old now with no leaks.

c ya, Sum

phat rat

the stock GM mini starters work great
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

I've used various brands of mini starters..... good service from all.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Beck

I had a buddy of mine at work bring me a header for repair this week. He has a drag Camaro. He had nicely trimmed off a 2" section of one removable tube (it goes over the frame rail and connects under the frame). He had the new piece ready to weld on. Everything was bead blasted so it was ready to go. As soon as I lit the tig a monster hole appeared. The original tube was super thin. I told him it was time for a new set. He had thought that before attempting the repair. A replacement set is $1500 US. He was wishing he had gone the coating route years ago. It would have been cheaper than the replacement. After he told me the price of the new ones I was wishing I wouldn't have tried the job. He was successfull in trimming a little more off the tube and making another extension. I recomended he try someone that was a better welder. He did and was successfull. Just goes to show I can't weld anymore.
Beck