Re: Laptop problems

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 23, 2004, 11:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

Quote from: "Crosley"MY laptop with pent III , 500 mhz,  with Windoze ME.  I did all updates to ME and the IE browser after this problem started with NO change in the results of the OLD server for the RRT coming up on my laptop.

I can type in ;  http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/index.php

and i get the old server with "information" page telling me I am on the old server to go here; http://www.roddingroundtable.com..... If I clik on the link...OLD server comes up!

I can clear the cookies, internet files, history and then enter the adress and i get the old server with the same message. I've cleared these many times under "tools' , then "Internet Options"in the header.  I reset security to "default" settings.  I have restarted the laptop &  shut down it fully several times.... same results  OLD server of the RRT

I typed in :  http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1684#1684   .........same results , i get the OLD server, not the post that the addy links to.

I tried the same deal on Netscape browser.... same results.  I cleared cookies, files , etc there tooo , same results OLD server for RRT.

Fat CAt emailed some us links early in the conversion to the new bbs server for testing of the new software and opinions .  I used the link in the email he sent to my yahoo account with  my laptop.. same results!  OLD server for RRT

For some reason the laptop &  browser is defaulting to the old server NO matter what I try.

? any answers, suggestions , laughter , finger pointing?  I have something miss configured some where.  THe trash can is close to the laptop and i am getting PO'd

On the main desk top puter I am using NOW, obviously all is OK ... This computer has windoze ME from the same CD  the laptop ME is from and the same IE browser

I am having excatly the same problem, not on my laptop though, I can access the RRT from my home puter but not from the office. George tried the same things for me on the phone the other day but to no avail. I" stumped.

Maybe my Boss is trying to tell me something at the office. He is a *.

B :cry: B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Fat Cat

It sounds like for some reason your computer is not updating the dns settings on the computer. Are you running any type of internet accelerator software? They have a tendancy to place entries in the host file that hard wire the IP address to the domain name and when the site changes servers it still goes to the old server. Do a search on your hard drive for any files containing the text roddingroundtable.com or 66.34.61.147. If you find any with the second one you need to delete that one for sure.

jman454

Crosley, Click on Start -> Run and type in winipcfg. Click 'OK' and you should get a window titled "IP Configuration". In that window there is a button labeled More Info>>, Click it at the top should be a box labeled DNS Server, write the IP Address down that appears there.

Now go to your desktop and do the same. I'm thinking you will find they are different and the one on the laptop is manually set to an old value. To change it, go to Network Settings, TCP/IP and make sure everything is set to "DHCP" or "Automatically Obtain" if that's appropriate for your network.

Another way to verify what's actually happening is at a DOS prompt (Start -> Run, type in Command, Click OK) type in
"ping www.roddingroundtable.com" (without the quotes) on both machines and see if you get "207.44.238.31". I'll bet the laptop is getting something different.

JMan.

Quote from: "Crosley"MY laptop with pent III , 500 mhz,  with Windoze ME.  I did all updates to ME and the IE browser after this problem started with NO change in the results of the OLD server for the RRT coming up on my laptop.

I can type in ;  http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/index.php

and i get the old server with "information" page telling me I am on the old server to go here; http://www.roddingroundtable.com..... If I clik on the link...OLD server comes up!

I can clear the cookies, internet files, history and then enter the adress and i get the old server with the same message. I've cleared these many times under "tools' , then "Internet Options"in the header.  I reset security to "default" settings.  I have restarted the laptop &  shut down it fully several times.... same results  OLD server of the RRT

I typed in :  http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1684#1684   .........same results , i get the OLD server, not the post that the addy links to.

I tried the same deal on Netscape browser.... same results.  I cleared cookies, files , etc there tooo , same results OLD server for RRT.

Fat CAt emailed some us links early in the conversion to the new bbs server for testing of the new software and opinions .  I used the link in the email he sent to my yahoo account with  my laptop.. same results!  OLD server for RRT

For some reason the laptop &  browser is defaulting to the old server NO matter what I try.

? any answers, suggestions , laughter , finger pointing?  I have something miss configured some where.  THe trash can is close to the laptop and i am getting PO'd

On the main desk top puter I am using NOW, obviously all is OK ... This computer has windoze ME from the same CD  the laptop ME is from and the same IE browser

58 Yeoman

Kewl, Tony. Now, call MS and suggest this fix to them.  :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

OldSub

WinProxy was your problem.

WinProxy (which isn't an MS product) cached the IP for the web site, and wasn't updating.  

When WinProxy was new I loved it.  I even became a distributor for them.  But now there are better answers.

If you are setting up the notebook for Internet access while travelling you'll want it to have its own dialup connection, or you'll need to configure it to DHCP on whatever network you attach to.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Fat Cat

Quote from: "OldSub"WinProxy was your problem.

WinProxy (which isn't an MS product) cached the IP for the web site, and wasn't updating.  

When WinProxy was new I loved it.  I even became a distributor for them.  But now there are better answers.

If you are setting up the notebook for Internet access while travelling you'll want it to have its own dialup connection, or you'll need to configure it to DHCP on whatever network you attach to.

What are you suggesting as a replacement for Winproxy. I have been using it since version 1.6. I stopped updating at 3.0 though. I have not had to many problems with it. It works fine with my 8 computer home network.

OldSub

Quote from: "Fat Cat"What are you suggesting as a replacement for Winproxy.

Soon as I clicked Submit I knew someone would ask that.

Back when I made my living selling and supporting technology I had a lot of trouble with some new version of WinProxy.  I don't recall which version, but I remember the incident, and I'd say it was 1998 or 1999.  I couldn't get any answers from anyone, and ended up feeling real foolish in front of my client.  I've avoided it since.

Today I'm using the firewall/router capabilities of Linux.  But I've got one server that I dedicated to that function back when I was selling web hosting, and its not the option I'd recommend to a non-techy.  I'm down to four servers in the rack, and every few months I get excited and migrate things so one more can be turned off and disposed of.  Its a lot of overkill for a couple of personal web sites and the family email.

When someone asks I usually point them toward the dedicated appliance approach for home use.  $100 box from Netgear or Linksys with a web interface.  Hard to screw up and easy for a casual technology user to install and ignore.  If your security needs require more, evaluate the little PIX.  Last I checked they were about $500 and should be adequate for most use.  My buddy who uses one has been real happy with it.  But then his name is on some of the RFCs you hear about, he's not a casual user.

I used to manage a PIX 520 (before it became an antique) with a bunch of interface cards in it to keep several web servers, a couple data base servers, and a credit card server all securely segregated, but able to exchange the information required.  That was far too complicated for most applications and no, I don't own any Cisco stock.

If you're on a dialup connection Internet Connection Sharing is probably good enough.  My employer uses MS's proxy server (Internet Acceration Server?-- whatever the current name of that product is).  We've been attacked, but not penetrated.

I got real serious about security when my Windows 2000 FTP server became a public game server without my consent.  One morning everything was slow.  Turned out someone had transferred a couple gig onto it over night, and people from all over were downloading games.  I unplugged the public interface and learned a lot more about Internet security.

Because of the problems security software can cause, I try to point people to the least intrusive way to accomplish what they need.  For most consumers its the cheap appliance.

Steve@OldSub.com

Bob K

My simple solution to this complex problem.  Don't know what made me want to try it. I emailed a link to the new forum from my home puter to the office. Overwrote the link in favorites and now I can get in from the office.

B :D B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

OldSub

Quote from: "Crosley"Thanks for the response to my questions and fatcat's.

here is a  photo of my desk area where the laptop is.  The red trash can is close enough I could have .........

Tell you what.  My laptop has died completely.  If the urge persists you send me that one, and I'll trash mine!

Then we'll both be happy!

Steve@OldSub.com