all you aussies(ozzie's?),

Started by tomslik, February 24, 2005, 08:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brootal

Quote from: "klassik"My wife and I spent 3 weeks driving from LA to Nashville and back. Well I drove all but 20 minutes of the trip.

Not that this is a competition or anything, but my wife and I spent 3 MONTHS in the US on our honeymoon and drove 13,500 miles!

Absolutely no dramas driving over there, you just adapt as it's kind of a mirror image. Everything is reversed, in fact, it's probably a lot easier than driving a LHD car over here.

Thoroughly recommended, although I'd watch out for Fat Cat and enjenjo.  :P
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

X38

O.K. last time I was there I drove NY, Philly, Cleveland, Chicago, Indy,
L'ville, Memphis, Norlins, Austin, San Antone, Taos, Denver and all points inbetween on roads from interstate to dirt. Lots of BF towns etc.

And if you think speed limits are slow here, I suffered one trip in the 55mph era too. That WAS slow.

klassik

Yeah it aint a contest mate but if you consider we were there for 3 weeks and drove 6300 miles. you were there and only did 13.500 in three months? so what were ya doing the rest of the time there?

So If we were there for 3 months, at the rate we travelled we would have covered 25,200 miles LOL.

Seriously though, I had a car like that once, ended up selling it. :lol:
>
>
>
Oops just realised you were on ya honeymoon.

:oops:
Before you criticise anyone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes :lol:

Bert

Goat tracks :lol: .....not wrong, I hit a pot hole the other day near my place and it felt like it took out my frontend......sheeezz, I reckon there would be a fracture in the L/H frontend mount now :shock: .....doesnt help with being down low :oops: and where talking in a major australian capital city road........................yeah right 8)  bert ............hey maybe I can sue the council :twisted:
Rods, music, family, friends......what more could I want?

Brootal

Quote from: "X38"O.K. last time I was there I drove NY, Philly, Cleveland, Chicago, Indy,
L'ville, Memphis, Norlins, Austin, San Antone, Taos, Denver and all points inbetween on roads from interstate to dirt. Lots of BF towns etc.

And if you think speed limits are slow here, I suffered one trip in the 55mph era too. That WAS slow.

Looks like this is a competition after all... :)

San Diego - Vegas - flew to San Antone - Austin (Continental Club) - Houston - Nawlins - Memphis - Nashville - Macon - Jacksonville - Miami (via Garlits Museum) - Savannah - Richmond - Washington DC - Scranton - Boston (Hi Skip and Szaf, Thanksgiving Dinner) - NYC - Niagara (Canada) - Dayton (Hi Fat Cat, enjenjo) - Chicago - St Louis - Amarillo - Grants - Blanding (Hi 1FATGMC) - Wendover - Reno - Jenner (Pacific Coast) - Crescent City - Sandy (Hi Zapato) - Seattle - Vancouver - Whistler - Vancouver (for Christmas) - Roseburg - San Francisco - flew to Maui - flew to Waikiki for New Year's Eve

The drive from New Orleans to Nashville was done in one day, including a tour through Gracelands and Sun Studios.

Now that's a HONEYMOON! :) :) :)
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

klassik

Try this in 3 weeks, drove around LA for two days... then on to Vegas,... then Flagstaff (had the best country fried steak ever !!!) little diner across from the Motel 6,... then backwards to grand canyon and on to Albuquerque (13 hours on the road that day) ...Albuquerque to Santa Fe and on to Santa Rosa NM (14 hours driving) ...then to Mustang OK ,.....Littlrock AR, ....got ripped off at Graceland.....Nashville for three days, then Atlanta GA, ....Shreveport TX, ...Dallas TX, .....Conroe TX, ....Houston TX, ....San Antonio TX, El Paso,.... Phoenix AZ,..... Back to LA and four days of day trips around LA.

got home and nearly wrote the Chevy off driving on the wrong side of the road and put it in reverse thinking I was still using that lever as an indicator. My son thought it was very funny. Thank the gods for the powerglide.

Craig
Before you criticise anyone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes :lol:

OzRod

Quote from: "klassik"It is funny you know how easilly you get used to driving there.

I second that. It actually felt better in a way (oops did I say that), well after 4 weeks of driving I got pretty used to it. Pulling out of drive ways was wierd at first.... used to looking right first instead of left. Nealy got us a few times.

One thing that just didn't make sense... whats the deal with those intersections that just have a red flashing light above them? Every man for himself? That got us in strife a few times in LA. Haven't you guys head of 'round-a-bouts' yet? :D

We did 13 states in 4 weeks. Mainly the west side. Recommend it to anyone.

Bert

Bloody showoffs..... geeeezz, Im Sooo lucky to have been to cairns{top of australia} :roll: ....thats it rub it in, go on...I can take it....... :cry: anyway, I want to go see some good, original sleezy blues bars :twisted: ....austin? perhaps....from different stories Ive read about the late master of blues SRV early days, it sounds like the place to go................Bert  :wink:

Bert

What about the other less obvious little differences....such as I just gave a set of new, unused bosch headlight assemblies to a mate who fitted them on his VW buggy....I raved on and on about how good they would be......he pulled up the other night in my driveway, with this look :evil: ...........the halogen light that it shone on my gate indicated the slant went the other way :oops: US model... :lol:   and then there is the wiper assemblies :roll: ..............Bert

Beck

(2 questions)
1 - Is Carps still around? I haven't seen the name for a while.
2 - Why did this post get so wide on my screen? I have to scroll across the page to read it. I changed the pixle sizing on the screen but then I needed my reading glasses to see it. Old age is the pits!
Beck

ps - I just noticed it is only "wide screen" on page 1 of this post.

Bert

My fault Beck :oops: ....it was the pics I posted I think......I need to drop them in size next time.........Im still an amature with this computer stuff 8)  Bert

enjenjo

QuoteWhy did this post get so wide on my screen? I have to scroll across the page to read it

Extra large picture did it.

I lived in Japan for two years, I had no trouble learning to drive on the left. When I came back here though, first turn, I was on the wrong side of the road. It took me several days to get used to it again.

Over there, I drove cars with both left and right hand steering, the controls can get confusing, but no more than going from one brand to another here.I rented a Nissan on vacation the last two weeks, and all the controls are just exactly opposite the ones in my Bonneville, of course the ones in my Dodge are opposite the Bonneville too. Left wipers, right wipers, up to dim the lights, down to dim the lights, right headlight switch, left headlight switch, floor shift, column shift, I'm getting confused :cry:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "Brootal"Looks like this is a competition after all... :)

San Diego - Vegas - flew to San Antone - Austin (Continental Club) - Houston - Nawlins - Memphis - Nashville - Macon - Jacksonville - Miami (via Garlits Museum) - Savannah - Richmond - Washington DC - Scranton - Boston (Hi Skip and Szaf, Thanksgiving Dinner) - NYC - Niagara (Canada) - Dayton (Hi Fat Cat, enjenjo) - Chicago - St Louis - Amarillo - Grants - Blanding (Hi 1FATGMC) - Wendover - Reno - Jenner (Pacific Coast) - Crescent City - Sandy (Hi Zapato) - Seattle - Vancouver - Whistler - Vancouver (for Christmas) - Roseburg - San Francisco - flew to Maui - flew to Waikiki for New Year's Eve

The drive from New Orleans to Nashville was done in one day, including a tour through Gracelands and Sun Studios.

Now that's a HONEYMOON! :) :) :)
So when did you get any time to....ahhhh.......errrr...... you know?
It was a honeymoon wasnt it?
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

gt28a

I only had one problem driving around there. Every time I went to change gear the drivers door flew open :roll: