Tripower setups

Started by sal37, February 22, 2005, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sal37

I want to use a 3x2 setup on my SBC.  I would like to have a setup that uses EFI but systems like the Moon system ($US3600) is way out of my price range.  Do any of you know of any other systems - I am looking mainly for the hardware components like throttle bodies etc that look like the old carbie systems.

If it all gets to difficult I will be happy to use a triple carbie setup.  I have checked a few sites on the net but have no idea of the reliability of the supplier or the system being offered.  From what I can determine the triple rochester appears to be the best system.  Does anyone have experience of which carbie setup is the best (if that is possible - reliability is a big factor as I do not want to spend hours and hours trying to work out how to tune the things) and which suppliers are reliable and reasonably priced.

Thanks

Steve

sirstude

Steve,

I ran a tri-power on my Studebaker.  It had a 383 stroker sbc, with a crane 270H cam, not too radical, but nice.  The thing I noticed is running down the road things ran real lean.  I had 3.55 rear gears and at 75 it was turning about 4000, but still running on just the middle carb.  The Rochester 2g carbs that are what the tri-powers use are only about 225cfm.  It was a lot of fun to drive, and sure looked good. The guy that bought it put on an efi unit with a single 1100cfm throttle body and port injection, and said the power increase was well worth the effort.  He picked up about a second and a half in the quarter.  Dropped down to 13.8 or so.  The guy in Great Falls makes a nice unit, but a bit expensive.  Barry Grant just came out with his own sbc tri-power and I don't know if he addressed the cfm issue, but it is also about $2500 or so, if I remember.  I really think the single throttle body, port injection systems are probably the best way to go overall, price and performance.

Hope this helps a bit.
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

flt-blk

Don't use Charlie Price aka Vintage Speed.

He does good work but it may take you a year or more to get the system
built and shipped.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Hi Steve! No personal experience but I'm thinking about a tri-power carb set-up also.Several guys are running them in my area....several have purchased them from www.vintagespeed.com and Larry Fulton at www.hotrodcarbs.com .Everyone seems digruntled with Charlie at Vintage,mostly with the service.I have heard nothing but good reviews for Larry at Hotrod Carbs with both product and service...in fact,he has helped straighten out problems with the Vintage set-ups! Good Luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

sirstude

Larry is the guy from Great Falls, just couldn't remember his company.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

32tom

Quote from: "sal37"I want to use a 3x2 setup on my SBC.  I would like to have a setup that uses EFI but systems like the Moon system ($US3600) is way out of my price range.  Do any of you know of any other systems - I am looking mainly for the hardware components like throttle bodies etc that look like the old carbie systems.

If it all gets to difficult I will be happy to use a triple carbie setup.  I have checked a few sites on the net but have no idea of the reliability of the supplier or the system being offered.  From what I can determine the triple rochester appears to be the best system.  Does anyone have experience of which carbie setup is the best (if that is possible - reliability is a big factor as I do not want to spend hours and hours trying to work out how to tune the things) and which suppliers are reliable and reasonably priced.

Thanks

Steve

I have no specifics but this is fuel injected. The electronic port injectors are hidden under the log manifold. The carbs are used strictly for their butterflies. The throttle position sensor is mounted in the rear on the linkage. The black hat behind the thermostat housing is the fuel pressure regulator that feeds the fuel rails in the valley.The same idea as the converted mechanical injection systems. It may not work in your application but just another idea to stir the juices.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

CruZer

Ida Automotive in NJ.,the Willys guys,make or made a 3-2 FI unit. I saw one on a white T-bucket at York a few years ago.I think the car was theirs.

I ran a Fenton 3-2 w/ Rochesters on my SBC for years and it was a fun set up. Good gas milage and the acceleration was incredible when I put my foot in it. Easy to tune. The only issue I had was with fuel pressure .Those old Rochesters didn't like anything more than 3.5 psi.4-5 would blow the needle right out of the seat on the float.Oh  and to get best CFM,use K&N filter elements.

sal37

Thanks for the info guys.

Daryle - do you have any prices from Larry Fulton for a setup??  He doesn't have email listed on his site so will have to call sometime.  

I know that Offenhauser and Edelbrock both produce 3 x 2 manifolds - is there any real difference between the two manifolds??  Again, I have not found any supplier prices on the internet so does any one have any  prices and/or suppliers for both manifolds??

Thanks again

Steve

Steve,I talked to a guy tonight that has Larry's set-up.Said he paid about $2300 and it took about 4 or 5 months to receive it.He is very happy with it and knew about the backlog up front...it was delivered as promised.Another buddy who has the Vintage Speed set-up said his was about $1500 but that was with a couple of polished upgrades.It took him awhile to get it dialed in but seems to work OK now.Another buddy just installed a dual-quad set-up on his stout small block and he says it runs like a scalded dog and I think it sounds awesome....Decisions,Decisions :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

sirstude

I forgot, I got a Summit racing catalog the other day, and they have a pretty good price on complete 2x4 setups.  Seems like they were in the $1200 range for a blg block which is what I was looking at, and I think a little less for a small block.  Complete from the air cleaner down.

Another option for you to look at.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

Stakebed

I don't think I have thier newest catalog, but speedway motors had both the edlebrock @ $240 or Offy at $210 a few years ago (sbc), can't comment on one being better than the other.

Red LeClear

Quote from: "sal37"I want to use a 3x2 setup on my SBC.  I would like to have a setup that uses EFI but systems like the Moon system ($US3600) is way out of my price range.  Do any of you know of any other systems - I am looking mainly for the hardware components like throttle bodies etc that look like the old carbie systems.

Thanks

Steve

I bought a 3x2's set-up on ebay and knew it was incomplete and didn't have the carbs modified when I bought it.  I bought parts from vintage speed and he gave me alot of advise on what modifications needed to be made.  I understand the slow service problem though.  It is complete now and runs well.  I have the rochester carbs, and polished Offy manifold.   The whole thing cost about $1000, with all the mods. and parts.

sirstude

There is a sbc tri-power complete on e-bay right now at a reasonable price $650 buy it now.  This is the rochester carb version and he will thow in a set of finned valve covers on the deal.  See item 7955968965

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us