Older engines

Started by jaybee, February 22, 2005, 07:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Count me as one of those people who like to run my cars until they become unreliable instead of trading at regular intervals.  It isn't that I don't like the new ones, I just don't want the car payment.  Of course eventually the clearances in the engine loosen up a little, even well before the thing is worn out to the point where it burns oil.  At that point, say over 100,000mi would there be any advantage in switching from a 5W30 oil to 10W30?  Anyone have any experience with those "high mileage" oils?  Anyone else proud of the number of miles you've put on your daily drivers?  My personal best is 225,000mi on a 351 Windsor, which by that time was in its second body.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

tom

i had 450,000 kilometers on a 305. went thru both my kids before the body fell off the frame and the frame off the body. did one carb and one trans rebuild.

58Apache

I bought a 95 Chevy truck last year with 126,000 miles on it.  I immediately took it down for an oil change and diff fluid change. I always use at least a synthetic blend if not all full synthetic. I think oils are much better these days and that allows engines and other things to last longer.

With the price of new vehicles now, it sure is a whole lot cheaper than a monthly car payment to put in the maintenance/occasional parts replacement and even drop a new crate engine in when necessary.

I figure, even if I had to put in the cost of a major repair once every 4 to 6 months, that it's still several months of car payments saved....AND major depreciation not lost.

Besides, if you keep it long enough, it just may become a classic! I think that's why my wife keeps me?

Steve

Ohio Blue Tip

My 1998 Chevy truck has 170,000 miles, I think it had about 150K when I bought it.  I have been running Mobil 1 in all my vehicles for a few years.  5W30 in the newer stuff and 10W30 in older more used stuff.  When I changed to Mobil 1 in the truck (10W30) there was a slight increase in oil pressure.  This increase has also been observed in other changes when going from regular oil to Mobil 1.
My 2 cents!
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Fat Cat

Quote from: "jaybee"Count me as one of those people who like to run my cars until they become unreliable instead of trading at regular intervals.  It isn't that I don't like the new ones, I just don't want the car payment.  Of course eventually the clearances in the engine loosen up a little, even well before the thing is worn out to the point where it burns oil.  At that point, say over 100,000mi would there be any advantage in switching from a 5W30 oil to 10W30?  Anyone have any experience with those "high mileage" oils?  Anyone else proud of the number of miles you've put on your daily drivers?  My personal best is 225,000mi on a 351 Windsor, which by that time was in its second body.

After about 150,000 miles I switch to 20W50 in summer and 10W40 in the winter

Sean

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
After about 150,000 miles I switch to 20W50 in summer and 10W40 in the winter

I run Castrol 20w50 in everything I own, even in the Winter. I usually buy my family vehicles with 20-30K miles on them, but if I ever bought one brand new I would probably run synthetic in it just to see if it really made that much difference over the long run.

Nick32Vic

Ive got about 175,000 miles on my 93 GMC Sierra and it has had Synthetic oil used in it since day 1 and it runs awesome.  Speaking of which i need to change my oil soon.

Nick

X38

Nick, don't I know you from somewhere else? I'm sloper 38 over there.
I'm here with the HRI invasion.

Ed ke6bnl

I just put 100,000 miles on my daily driver a 63 Econoline pu truck and when I got it I don't now how many miles where on the engine before I got it after its 12years of sitting in my friends back yard. Still going well maybe a week more I have an intrested buyer. ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Fat Cat

Quote from: "X38"Nick, don't I know you from somewhere else? I'm sloper 38 over there.

If you are talking about the HAMB you will find quite a few of us as members there, including myself and enjenjo.

Nick32Vic

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "X38"Nick, don't I know you from somewhere else? I'm sloper 38 over there.

If you are talking about the HAMB you will find quite a few of us as members there, including myself and enjenjo.

Ya what he said!  :D

Nick

X38

No. Another one. OK, streetroding.com

See, you made me say it.

Nick32Vic

Quote from: "X38"No. Another one. OK, streetroding.com

See, you made me say it.

Oh! ya. lol. now i remember. Sorry. Im slow.

Nick

hotrodbob

I run Castrol Syntec 5-50 in my coupe and ran it in my '85 Vette. Tried Mobil 1 in my Vette years ago and lost 10psi oil pressure and it made lots of noise. Drained it back out and put the syntec in and all was well again.

However, I now run a thicker Mobil 1 in my '04 Chebby Pick-up and consistantly get 20MPG after 27,000 miles and oil pressure is ok. Mobil 1 is lots better now.
Hotrodbob
Have Mouth, Will Travel.
http://www.bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

ah760

got 281000 on my 94 s-10