History of MOKAN Dragstrip

Started by WZ JUNK, February 13, 2005, 10:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

Some of you have been to MOKAN to the HAMB Drags and you might find this thread on the MOKAN site interesting.  http://www.mokandragway.com/cgi-bin/iB301/ikonboard.cgi?s=421019d3fd6dffff;act=ST;f=1;t=1444

Those of you that saw my post from last summer about the 40 Willys that caught on fire in my shop, well thats a picture of it from its early racing days on the history thread.  I think that they will eventually have a part of their site for the history of MOKAN.  In one of the post it talks about Garlits running against a jet car in 1982.  My wife and I were there with are little girl and my wife said today she remembers holding her hands over our daughters ears.  The old strip has a lot of history.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rooster

Really neat pictures John! Thanks for the link.

purplepickup

Great pictures John. :D

I met a friend of Bill Wilbert, the guy that built MOKAN, in a motel parking lot last summer.  We were talking cars and I mentioned the HAMB drags.  His name is Larry Perry and he said Bill had lots of pictures.  It looks like they're getting them scanned and preserved.  I like looking at all the background stuff in those old pics.  The strip hasn't changed much since they built it which is cool.  Everyone involved with running it is good people too.

I poked around the board and it is a little different to see they are scheduling races in February tho.  We still have snow.

Thanks.
George

Sean

Quote from: "purplepickup"

I poked around the board and it is a little different to see they are scheduling races in February tho.  We still have snow.

Thanks.

I think it only snowed three or four times this year in mid-Missouri and the heaviest was 3-4 inches. Nothing like what you Northerners get.

DanO

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Some of you have been to MOKAN to the HAMB Drags and you might find this thread on the MOKAN site interesting.  http://www.mokandragway.com/cgi-bin/iB301/ikonboard.cgi?s=421019d3fd6dffff;act=ST;f=1;t=1444

In one of the post it talks about Garlits running against a jet car in 1982.  My wife and I were there with are little girl and my wife said today she remembers holding her hands over our daughters ears.  The old strip has a lot of history.

John that really brings back a lot of memories. Carol and I were there the night Garlits ran against Shockley. It was awesome! We spent most of the night in the pits just watching Don and his crew wrench on the Swamp Rat.   :)