GM 5-speed sticks

Started by Topsterguy, February 13, 2005, 01:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

I'm looking at changing the T-350 in my roadster to a 5 speed stick so I'm starting to gather parts. Which is the best 5-speed, clutch etc  to use? Years? Thanks!  Larry
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Phil1934

'84 up Camaros have a hydraulic slave cyl,  Couple that with a 7/8" m.c.
You can drive out the retainer pin for th ebarb that holds the plastic tubing, disassembe the cyl., and tap it for pipe thread to run AN braided line.  '88 up were WC (world class) which are a little stronger.  If you need the shifter forward then you are going to need one out of a S-10.  If you go newr than '90, they have an electric speedo drive.  You will have to take it of and put a mech. drive in the hole.  Grab the shaft while you are JY shopping as the yoke is $160 new!

Bruce Dorsi

Larry, please check your PM's.  .....I sent one last week, but I don't know if you saw it.

Thank you!

Bruce
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

58Apache

I have done some research on this in the past. I have heard the 80's-90's 5 speeds in GM cars were pretty weak and can't take a lot of power. Now if you have a mild 350 or smaller you might be ok?

Now I have a 5 speed New Venture manual tranny in my Chevey truck and I like it, but with that 1st gear being a granny gear, it's not geared for what you want.  Too bad you can't re-gear these things. They would make a good rod tranny if the gears were right and you didn't mind an electronic sending unit.  

The new Tremek TKO 500 & 600's are not cheap but the hottest things going for a manual tranny that's brand spanking new from the manufacturer.  The 600's are supposed to be able to handle a lot of HP and torque. These trannies, or a close cousin are what goes into the vipers and mustangs, and I am not sure what else.

If something ever goes wrong with the tranny I have the Tremec is the way I am going.
                                                      Steve