A question about a Ford ranger

Started by GPster, February 17, 2004, 09:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Today was the first time I've had occasion to have my Ranger on the interstate. I'm a little out of touch so I'm not sure I have a problem but it doesn't seem quite right. This is an '89 Ranger XLT with a 2300cc 4 cylinder and a A4LD overdrive transmission. The tranny seems to shift to second at 25MPH and third at 35MPH. Around town I've never noticed it shifting after that but I wasn't concerned. With the noise and traffic and speed I never noticed a shift after the one to third. At 70MPH I noticed the factory tach showing 3,000 RPM and I never noticed it kick down to a lower gear for passing. The rear end code leads me to believe that this thing has a 4.10 - 1 rear and the tire sizes are stock. The shift lever seems to be in the correct position for O.D. but I don't know. I bought a Haynes manual for this thing but it doesn't offer much help for trouble shooting. The shifting into O.D. and the lack of a passing gear down shift may be two different problems but no better than I hear at those speeds I may be missing them. If I knew about what speed to expect a shift to O.D. I could watch but because I'm only seeing with one eye it would help to know when to look. Any advise? GPster

Dale

My last truck was a 90 Ranger. It was a manual 5 speed. At 70 MPH my tack would read 3100 RPM. Yours is probobly OK.     Dale :roll:
Dale                  Slow mind fast car 8)

Gambler

Yeah, it's probally okay. My celica (may she rest in pieces) has a 1.6 liter with a 5 speed, and it also ran around 3 grand at 70 (and 4 grand at 80, and 6 grand at 110 until I shifted into 5th). Granted yours is an auto, but those little engines rev high.

GPster

OK I had a chance to listen and look more intently yesterday. It appears to shiht from third to O.D. somewhere between 45MPH and 50MPH.  It seems to be at about 2,000 RPM. Read the book a little bit and it's supposed to have a lock-up on the converter but I really can't see that feature working or not. Also There's no indication of a "passing gear" but what can you expect out of a 2,300cc with 120,000 miles. Getting time to check air fares to Salt Lake City. One of the things they warned me at Driver's Assesment was that the best way to stay out of trouble was being able to keep up with traffic. "I'll be safe if I go slow" is NOT a good idea. I don't  think this Ranger can do it. I don't think that the '51 Chevrolet un-fendered pick-up with a stock/tired 50 year old six-banger stands a chance. Maybe I'd better get back to thinking about that SBC 350 4 bolt main in the Jeepster. Maybe I can fly to Salt Lake City and buy a car and drive the last 120 miles to Wendover. GPster

SKR8PN

Unless you are watching the tack REAL close,you may never know when the convertor locks up. It will only drop the RPM's about 1 or 2 hundred. At 2500 rpm's,that can be difficult to feel.  In some areas of the country,driving @ 70 mph will just get you run over.....  I had to drive up to Grafton Ohio this morning to pick up some parts I had chrome plated and going up I-71 the speed limit is 65.I was running 75 and was getting passed by a few cars doing at least 85 or 90.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"it's supposed to have a lock-up on the converter but I really can't see that feature working or not.

You should be able to tell if the converter is locking or not by watching the tach in overdrive.  While going along at a steady speed give it a fair amount of gas.  If the converter is locked the rpm's will slowly climb.  If the converter isn't locked the rpms will quickly rise 200-300 rpm as the converter flashes/slips up to a higher speed.  Check the conveter flashing in 3rd to get an idea how much the rpms will instantanously jump.  In 4th it should be like a standard and if you are in and out of the throttle quickly the rpms will only follow road speed.  

This works for me anyway.

Hope you aren't serious about trying to find a car in SLC.  That place is a mess to get around in.  I'll probably be through SLC by the airport on Friday between 3:00 and 5:00 most likely.  If that would help let me know.

c ya, Sum

GPster

That clears it up a bunch for me. I was watching the tack in third gear when I was noticing the slippage. When it's in overdrive that slippage doesn't appear on the tach. Thanks for the offer Sumner. How in the world are you going to be in Salt Lake City on Friday? Aren't you going to do your tour this year? Our daughter and son-in-law have friends in Salt Lake City and were planning a visit this spring. I just had the idea in the back of my mind and I was going to have my son-in-law look around and see if it might be worth my while. GPster

1FATGMC

Quote from: "GPster"How in the world are you going to be in Salt Lake City on Friday? Aren't you going to do your tour this year?

If anyone wants to come by here this year like last I hope they get to Blanding by Wed. night.  

Thursday morning I plan on going to a different Anasazi Ruin this year that won't involve as much walking.

It is at the head of a very pretty canyon.  From there we will go out to Natural Bridges National Monument and then either to Bluff for dinner like last year or back to Blanding for dinner.  

Friday morning we will head out for B'ville stopping at Bo Huff's and then on to Wendover.  This should put us by the airport in SLC between 3 and 5 in the afternoon.

c ya, Sum

Gambler

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "GPster"How in the world are you going to be in Salt Lake City on Friday? Aren't you going to do your tour this year?

If anyone wants to come by here this year like last I hope they get to Blanding by Wed. night.  

Thursday morning I plan on going to a different Anasazi Ruin this year that won't involve as much walking.

going a little o/t, but what ruins are those? I live near Chimney Rock and sorta near Mesa Verde, but those pics you posted look interesting. (especially if they dont involve too much walking, got a baby due any day, and wont be able to take it out on too long of hikes this summer)  :D

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Gambler"
going a little o/t, but what ruins are those? I live near Chimney Rock and sorta near Mesa Verde, but those pics you posted look interesting. (especially if they dont involve too much walking, got a baby due any day, and wont be able to take it out on too long of hikes this summer)  :D

The ruins go by the name of Cave Tower Ruins, but I don't know if that is the real name or not.  They are about 15 miles west of Blanding on 95 and then about 1/2 mile south of the highway.  If you have a high clearance vehicle you can drive right to them.  With a car you have to walk the last 1/4 mile.  There are remains of towers around the top of the canyon and then going down the canyon wall there are ruins in the cliff.  The last picture is about 400 yards from where you park, but it is a pretty good climb down to it.  Not technical, but tiring coming back up.  A lot of people just look at that one from the top.  If you come by I can give you directions or maybe be able to go out depending on work.

c ya, Sum