Escaping the "Great White North"

Started by Overdrive, February 06, 2005, 02:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overdrive

:lol: LURK MODE OFF

"Activate the Escape Pod Mr. Christian"

Well we have finally tired of the snow and cold so my wife and I are going to try get away for a couple of weeks starting mid Feb. We will be heading down to Atlantic Beach NC and then Myrtle Beach,SC finally returning home to Manitoba via St Louis.

Looking for some hints on important things to see (wife speak) for any good Hot Rod shops, Car related activities or coffee get togethers I can crash.

Bob

Sean

St. Louis Zoo is supposedly one of the best in the world. Grants Farm in St. Louis is pretty cool too, the Budweiser Clydesdales are kept there.

enjenjo

If you haven't done it before, go up in the arch. And if they still do tours, Bigfoot Inc is neat.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "Overdrive":lol: LURK MODE OFF

"Activate the Escape Pod Mr. Christian"

Well we have finally tired of the snow and cold so my wife and I are going to try get away for a couple of weeks starting mid Feb. We will be heading down to Atlantic Beach NC and then Myrtle Beach,SC finally returning home to Manitoba via St Louis.

Looking for some hints on important things to see (wife speak) for any good Hot Rod shops, Car related activities or coffee get togethers I can crash.

Bob

I was just in the Wilmington N.C. area a week ago. There is the U.S.S. N.Carolina battleship moored there that is open for tours. Also some Civil War monuments at the mouth of the Cape Fear river. It looks like Wilmington is about halfway between Atlantic Beach and Myrtle Beach.

47convert

Quote from: "enjenjo"If you haven't done it before, go up in the arch. And if they still do tours, Bigfoot Inc is neat.

Can you still go up in the arch? I thought I'd heard they shut it down after 911. Heck of a view from up there! If you do go there check out the Blues bar at LaClade's Landing the just a few blocks away (down towards the bridge if I remember right (Muddy Waters Place) Great entertainment and lots of cops to keep things safe. Bars are open til about 3:00 AM

Nick32Vic

I cant really think of any car stuff goin on around St. Louis anytime soon. If you are real bored i could take you around to look at all my buddys projects and shops.

Lets see, you can see my car.
The upolstry guy always has somethin cool in his shop.
The Plymouth guy is building like 4 different cars in his body shop.

You can go up in the arch. Usually theres a long line. At least the times ive been there, but they also have a museum under the arch too.

Ill try to think of more stuff to do around here.

Nick

purplepickup

Quote from: "Nick32vic"Ill try to think of more stuff to do around here.

Nick
On one trip I made following old Route 66 I stopped at Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard in St Louis.  I'm not sure something frozen sounds good to an escapee from the Great White North, but it sure is good. :D
George

Beck

ST LOUIS HIGHLIGHTS;
The arch is still open. If you go during the day on a weekday the line shouldn't be bad. A buddy of mine who runs a fiberglass shop is currently refurbishing the seats (a couple at a time) that are used to go up and down the arch. Their shop was the original builder of the seats. People seem to want to carve them up during the trip up and down.
You could take a tour of the AB brewery. They are just south of the arch area.
Gambling boats are all over the country now so they may not be of interest to you. The nicest local one is in St. Charles, MO (my opinion). That makes it the least accessible from St. Louis though. There is one on the riverfront very near the arch, and another just across the Mississippi in E. St. Louis.
If you are a bowler, the Bowling Hall of Fame is just NW of Busch Stadium, home of the baseball Cardinals.
Any other year you could check out the Blues hockey team. You will have to catch that another time.
The Steamers our local provisional indoor soccer team plays at the Savis Center.
SLU college basketball is in town.
As far as car activities, we pretty well shut down everything but the building during the winter.
How about all of the RRT folks get together for dinner somewhere? Weather permitting all of us with cars could drive them there. (That lets me out.) :oops:

Overdrive

I appreciate the invite, we leave chilly Winnipeg on Feb 16, and expect to be returning through St. Louis Tues Mar 1. I would love to get together, to see your car & shop or just for coffee and gab. Expect to hit St. Louis around Supper Time and plan to stay at Comfort Inn on Lindbergh Blvd. If you could either PM me or email me at bob.workman@shaw.ca with phone number I can contact you when we get there. Had not planned on staying long (just overnight) in St. Louis as it is middle of week and most people are working but would love a chance to meet fellow Rodders.

Bob

Quote from: "Nick32vic"I cant really think of any car stuff goin on around St. Louis anytime soon. If you are real bored i could take you around to look at all my buddys projects and shops.

Lets see, you can see my car.
The upolstry guy always has somethin cool in his shop.
The Plymouth guy is building like 4 different cars in his body shop.

You can go up in the arch. Usually theres a long line. At least the times ive been there, but they also have a museum under the arch too.

Ill try to think of more stuff to do around here.

Nick