Grinding Stones! Sharpening an Grinding!

Started by rooster, February 09, 2005, 03:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I got a small bench grinder a few years ago, it came with 2 wheels on it, the first thing I did was remove one and replace it with a brass brush wheel. The stone that I took off seems to be finer that the one that is still on the grinder.  :?: What stone is required to sharpen drill bits? I have my old grinder I can mount a stone to for the bits only. RatBandit is going to be draging that 49 Chevy home soon may as well get prepaired!

:?: I have a handheld grinder and its wheel is clogged with Alumimn, is there any thing I can do about that?

Mikej

Oil or wd40 sprayed on saw blades or carbide bits for die grinder will take the built up aluminum off.  When I grind aluminum with the die grinder, I just dip the bit in a bucket of waste oil.
I don't know about a grind stone. I use an old carbide tipped bit( hammer drill bit) to dress my stone.

Sean

We have been buying notched 4 1/2" grinding wheels at work that are specially made for aluminum. They are called AVOS (Allows-View-Of-Surface) and are the best thing I have ever used on aluminum. Those little bumps all over them are the abrasive. Its clumped into little nodules and coated over with something.

Dave

:?: What stone is required to sharpen drill bits?
Depends... I like to use both. The coarse to rough it out and the fine to finish. The real cats behind is to have a 1/4 inch wide wheel to under cut it for a better cutting edge. Also dont get it too hot . It takes the hardness out of the bit.
Dave :wink:

unklian

The finer finish,the longer the cutting edge will last.
I used to sharpen stuff where I worked.
The machine operators told me that anything I sharpened
always lasted longer than the same thing sharpend by
anyone else.Sometimes double.

Try some Muriatic Acid to clean the Aluminum off that disc.
Or buy another disc.