What Am I Looking At???

Started by 40, February 04, 2005, 06:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Friend of mine is looking at the possible purchase of a project with the IFS pictured below (I Hope  :roll: )He has been told it's a basic,stock MustII set-up.Obviously,the tubular upper A-arms are not stock.I usually use Heidt's IFS and have never installed a stock MustII set-up,I have looked at many over the years but don't recall seeing this particular shaped strut rod or bracketry on stock Must II's???Any ideas what we're looking at for sure??Thanks!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

Looks like they have Speedway upper arms and Tubular Strut rods. They may be a different brand, the top cross shafts don't look like the ones I got from Speedway. Anyway, they are the functional equivalent of the Speedway parts. The only question I would have is what kind of bushings are in the upper arms and strut rods. Some of the racing stuff is metal to metal, not good for the street. If there are plastic, or rubber bushings in there, they should be fine. I've used that setup on three cars so far with no problems.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

SKR8PN

Is that a Fatmans crossmember????????The uppers do look like Speedways,the spindles look like stock,and the lower arms appear to be stock,but I don't have a CLUE what  the strut rod is!!!
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a Heidts MII front under my 40 and use stock upper and lower a-arms. The strut rod shown which completes the lower A shape could be a Heidts or any other mfg's arm of that confiruration. The pivot on that arm is located in line with the lower a-arm pivot as opposed to the stock MII that points back at an angle and is held in a plate with a rubber grommet on each side retained by a large washer and nut.

These strut arms have been available as an option for 8-10 years, maybe a bit longer. They put less stress on the pivot bracketry...all other things being equal - like well designed and welded well.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Good call Frank  :D  Everyone tells me you're full of it....I just didn't realize they meant information :wink: I pulled out my Speedway catalog and it appears to me that the entire set-up came from them....makes sense since the project was started just across the Nebraska border in Wyoming.Guess if the guy got the geometry right when he installed it and we upgrade to larger brakes....might be OK....sure looks like crap :roll: I warned him that most of the time when taking over an in-progress project....you end up un-doing,then re-doing what the previous owner wasted his time and money on.Thanks Guys!!

Charlie...I agree,this configured strut rod makes much more sense than the stock Must II as you described.A friend of mine has the stock rod set-up and has broken the weld on the bracket attached to the frame several times.Does anyone see any other deficiancies in the pictured set-up???

enjenjo

Safety wise no, but the hat section should have been mounted a bit further back. A common mistake, and not critical.  Motor mount looks like it could be beefed up a bit too.

In another photo,it appears that there is a triangle shaped plate that extends from the bottom of the motor mount to the frame creating a "T" effect which should help.You are telling me that the wheel may not center in the fender opening because of the hat placement?Thanks again!

32 Chevy

Quote from: "40"A Friend of mine is looking at the possible purchase of a project with the IFS pictured below (I Hope  :roll: )He has been told it's a basic,stock MustII set-up.Obviously,the tubular upper A-arms are not stock.I usually use Heidt's IFS and have never installed a stock MustII set-up,I have looked at many over the years but don't recall seeing this particular shaped strut rod or bracketry on stock Must II's???Any ideas what we're looking at for sure??Thanks!!

Those tubular A arms are EXACTLY like the ones I have on the '32 Chevy; I got the crossmember Kit from Street Rod Engineering. I was ubnder the impression that they made their own parts but they might have sourced them from who-knows-where.

They seem to work o.K. but I never have been able to get a slight squeak out of them. The squeak comes from the synthethic bushings.

Cheers,

DaveR.

Leon

Quote from: "40"Does anyone see any other deficiancies in the pictured set-up???
I would do something with that brake line T , the way it sits it's susceptible to vibration.  I'd mount it with some clamps.

enjenjo

Quote from: "40"In another photo,it appears that there is a triangle shaped plate that extends from the bottom of the motor mount to the frame creating a "T" effect which should help.You are telling me that the wheel may not center in the fender opening because of the hat placement?Thanks again!

The upper A frame is skewed back to get alignment, no big deal, as I said common mistake.

C9

"They seem to work o.K. but I never have been able to get a slight squeak out of them. The squeak comes from the synthethic bushings. "

Dave, have you tried lubing them?
I ran the Polyurethane bushings in my 32's four bars dry cuz the bushings came dry.

I note that the Energy Suspension bushings in my 31 roadster project came with a sticky lube on them.
I hear as well that some guys like white grease on them.

Kind of a six of one, half dozen of the other deal - run grease, attract dust, add wear or run dry and wear anyway.
They are supposed to be self-lubricating, but I think that's only true with the ones that have - I believe - graphite in the Poly when it's mixed prior to molding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

What do the rest of you guys and gals do with Poly bushings - lube em or leave em dry?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

btrc

Daryle,
 The bent strut rod will probably not resist  fore and aft forces as well as the stock one but it is no different than all the tubular a-arms that we all use.  I would  proabably put a web in between the two brackets for the strut rod and a radiused triangular gusset on the outside keep them from bending and distribute the forces better. There may be a small one now, I can't tell for sure.  Looking at the brake plumbing, I would pull it all out and redo it.  Easy to do.
 Looks like another '37 in our area.  Any paint on the '36 yet?

Bob
Bob

58 Yeoman

The only poly bushings on my Poncho are on the front stab bar, and they came with some silicone lube.  Of course, by the time I get the car on the road, even THAT may be dried up. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

The plumbing on the entire chassis will need to be re-done by looking at the photos. Another 37 Flatback....and to think not too many years ago you couldn't give them away!
  Bob....The 36 is still in Gary's shop 2 doors down...but...Not for long! I'll shoot you an e-mail. I am in the process of finding another shop to do the final prep and paint and then it's just a matter of me re-assembling it,re-installing the interior,wiring it and it should be ready to go.The fellow who just purchased my 35 is very interested in the 36 as well when finished...not sure if I'll sell it or the 40 Coupe....Not enough room....I am going to be so busy this year...I may even have to use part of my shop for work :roll: