Altenator mounting (alternative spots) not your typical q

Started by Curly, January 30, 2005, 07:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curly

The thing that I have created in my mind and slowly building require that much of the "normal" stuff mounted on the front of the engine not be there. I have a remote water pump with the radiator mounted out back, a Hilborn style fuel pump mounted on the timing cover and a 3" blower belt is the first thing that greets you after the Eelco tank...get the picture? Sorta of a Fuel Altered for the street  :shock:

So I was thinking that I should mount the altenator someplace else also...but where....tranny, rearend...remote with an electric motor like they use for waterpumps :?:

enjenjo

Well, you could mount it down low on one side or the other, and drive it off the crank. I have seen it driven off the driveshaft in the past. Electric drive is not productive, takes more to drive it than you get out of it. That pesky consevation of energy thing.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"Electric drive is not productive, takes more to drive it than you get out of it. That pesky consevation of energy thing.

But what about all those perpetual motion machines?   :?

I also suggest low on the side of the engine, tucked in as closely as possible.  It isn't out there demanding your attention that way.  If you run off the drive shaft it won't charge when you're stopped or moving slowly.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

MrMopar64

Or you could buy one of them there water pumps with the alt built in  :wink:  course the price may be waaay out of the ball park not sure

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Charlie Chops 1940

Some years back there was a 33/34 Willys coupe built for some famous person - can't remember who - with the alt. mounted on the rearend with a mating pulley on the the input yoke. Although it would work well I wondered whether it would last long down there in the dirt and rain water.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Some years back there was a 33/34 Willys coupe built for some famous person - can't remember who - with the alt. mounted on the rearend with a mating pulley on the the input yoke. Although it would work well I wondered whether it would last long down there in the dirt and rain water.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Some years back there was a 33/34 Willys coupe built for some famous person - can't remember who - with the alt. mounted on the rearend with a mating pulley on the the input yoke. Although it would work well I wondered whether it would last long down there in the dirt and rain water.

Charlie

Charlie, you mast have started to stutter in your retirement!  You double posted! :roll:  :lol:  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

GPster

A few thoughts. There is talk about a small alternator off of some foreign makes that is small enough to fit inside a gutted generater housing. Could you make a "vertex Mag" copy and maybe mount one under an extended shaft HEI ? Of course with the cam speed 1/2 of the crank speed you'd have to set your idle about 1,500 RPM. You can run an "Old Truck" four speed with a power take-off on it and drive the alternator off of it. Or maybe a transmission with a transfer case and drive it off of that ( again this would only charge when you're moving. Or you could have the two-man start like on dragsters with a drive assembley (impact wrench type) held to the front of the crank or blower and drive the alternator  off a gutted starter that is engaged to the ring gear of the flywheel all the time. These are only suggestion but I bet someone has a fine line idea that could make one of them work. GPster

34ford

Here's a site where Scooter has the alternator mounted backwards and on the frame. http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=269  This starts with the 1st article and goes thru the build. Click on the bottom of the page for the next articles on the building of it. Don't know if this will work for you or not.

bob

Dave

Quote from: "34ford"Here's a site where Scooter has the alternator mounted backwards and on the frame. http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=269  This starts with the 1st article and goes thru the build. Click on the bottom of the page for the next articles on the building of it. Don't know if this will work for you or not.

bob
Scooter is a little backwards himself i think :lol:  Actually thats one hell of a car. I would have done a few things different but its his car and it looks great. One of the reasons I decided to go to the nats this year again is to look him up.
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Some years back there was a 33/34 Willys coupe built for some famous person - can't remember who - with the alt. mounted on the rearend with a mating pulley on the the input yoke. Although it would work well I wondered whether it would last long down there in the dirt and rain water.

Charlie
That driveshaft stuff is Na$car .. I see yokes for 9 inch fords on ebay all the time with pulleys on em. Great at 180mph but hard to get to work at 15mph
Dave