Hey AV8

Started by Bib_Overalls, February 06, 2005, 11:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Saw an article in one of the Buckaroo magazines (Rodders Digest?) about building a traditional AV8 frame.  They used a Tardel repro crosmember and gave your book (the Bible) a good plug.

In Chaper 2, "The Frame" you position the front motor mounts first and locate the trimmed 32 K-member using a block and tranny. When I read that I asked myself "What about the wishbone?  Will it marry up or will it need to be massaged to fit?"

In the article they located the K-member by bolting up the front suspension and using the ball on the wishbone.  And then they used a block and tranny to locate the front mounts.

When I started building my Model A coupe in the late 50s I did not use a 32 K member.  My neighbor, * Tindal,  and I fabed one using 2" angle iron.  We positioned the front mounts using a measurement the late Gene Scott gave us.  He assured me that if I put them where he said the engine would clear the firewall.  Was that your logic in starting at the front and working back?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

av8

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Saw an article in one of the Buckaroo magazines (Rodders Digest?) about building a traditional AV8 frame.  They used a Tardel repro crosmember and gave your book (the Bible) a good plug.

In Chaper 2, "The Frame" you position the front motor mounts first and locate the trimmed 32 K-member using a block and tranny. When I read that I asked myself "What about the wishbone?  Will it marry up or will it need to be massaged to fit?"

In the article they located the K-member by bolting up the front suspension and using the ball on the wishbone.  And then they used a block and tranny to locate the front mounts.

When I started building my Model A coupe in the late 50s I did not use a 32 K member.  My neighbor, * Tindal,  and I fabed one using 2" angle iron.  We positioned the front mounts using a measurement the late Gene Scott gave us.  He assured me that if I put them where he said the engine would clear the firewall.  Was that your logic in starting at the front and working back?

That was pretty much it. We used a '29 cowl for early mockup and fitting and positioned the motor as close to the firewall as we could. It also positioned the pedals, shifter, and steering wheel in a good relationship.

BTW, in our eagerness to be helpful we put too much emphasis on dimensions when we should have encouraged mockup, and let the builder find his own dimensions.