Mallory Hi-Fire box / magnetic breakerless distributor hook

Started by Topsterguy, January 27, 2005, 11:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Okay, so I'm using a Mallory distributor and igntion control box and I need to know how to hook it up. Oh, I read the directions etc but it doesn't mention which of the existing distributor / ignition wiring has to be undone before hooking up the box. The distributor was hooked up to the coil - does that stay or go to the box? :?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

Which model Hyfire are you using? Is it a CDI, or Unilite distributor?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "enjenjo"Which model Hyfire are you using? Is it a CDI, or Unilite distributor?

Hey enjenjo, good to hear from you!  It's the Comp S/S model # 4248201 distributor and  Hy-Fire 6A box. Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

There are diagrams for most models here  

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/mallorytech.asp

I did not find your distributor part number there, but if you have the model number, you should be able to find that.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "enjenjo"There are diagrams for most models here  

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/mallorytech.asp

I did not find your distributor part number there, but if you have the model number, you should be able to find that.

Thanks a bunch, enjenjo, got it done! One more question!! :)  I'm using a '37 Ford column in the coupe. On the back of the innition switch on the bakelite it says Gage, Coil, Battery - which wires go to which terminal keeping in mind the box / dist I'm using!!???  Thanks again!

enjenjo

The one marked Coil should have the ignition and Hyfire hooked to in, and THAT'S ALL. The one marked guage should power a relay to run everything else.  An accessory relay, about 40 amp will be enought to power the rest of your accesssories, and take the load off the ignition switch. Any accessories that require constant power should tap off before the ignition switch.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "enjenjo"The one marked Coil should have the ignition and Hyfire hooked to in, and THAT'S ALL. The one marked guage should power a relay to run everything else.  An accessory relay, about 40 amp will be enought to power the rest of your accesssories, and take the load off the ignition switch. Any accessories that require constant power should tap off before the ignition switch.

Ahhhhhhh, thanks BIGTIME once again, enjenjo! :wink: