Condenser behind radiator.

Started by sirstude, January 24, 2005, 01:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I was just talking to a friend and we were wondering if placing the AC condenser behind the radiator would work.  I have lots of room behind my radiator, but not so much out front.  Would the air stream be too hot behind the radiator to make the air work?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

unklian

In theory,it will work better in front,because the air is cooler.
The greater the difference in temperature,the more condensation.

I'm sure someone here has tried it.

Skip

R-134 is notoriously ineficient (when compared to R-12) and putting the condenser behind the radiator will render the system nearly useless, especially when it's warm outside and you really want it to work.

The radiator will cool your engine, even when the air coming through it is hot.  The condenser, on teh other hand, won't work worth a * if there's hot air blowing across it.

Keep it in front of the radiator.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Okiedokie

A remote condenser with shrouded electric fan mounted under the car is a much better option. Although some say it won't work with 134, mine and at least one other I know of, does fine.

sirstude

Thanks guys, I will make it fit out front.  Witth the air bags, underneath is not an option, I can set the rails on the pavement.  I will have stops to keep it up a bit.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Skip

Quote from: "Joe Gaddy"A remote condenser with shrouded electric fan mounted under the car is a much better option. Although some say it won't work with 134, mine and at least one other I know of, does fine.

Airflow (and size) is the key to an efficient system.  The bigger the condenser, the better it'll dissipate the heat.  The more cool air you can pass over it, the faster it will dissipate the heat.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting