Rear Steer Rack and Pinion

Started by btrc, January 29, 2005, 07:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btrc

I just bought a 63-1/2 Mercury Comet.  It has power steering and absolutely no steering feel.  I'm looking to switch it to R & P steering but it has rear steer unlike the common front steer Mustang II.  I believe the suspension is the same as the early Mustang and I found a kit to do it but at $2000 it is way over my budget.  Does anyone know any donor car prospects with power rear steer Rack and Pinion.

Thanks
Bob
Bob

jaybee

Some GM mid-size cars use a rack using a center link sort of bracket that bolts to the unit near the center.  Look at Pontiac Grand Am and related cars, or maybe Chevy Cavalier.  I can't remember right now which platform used that arrangement but believe it was one of the two.  With an arrangement like that you could ake the center link exactly the same length as your existing center link to avoid changing the geometry.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

I would look at a Horizon, Omni rack. Functionally it's the same as a Mustang rack, but rear steer. Same tie rod ends fit it, same shaft spline.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Mac

Check "Unisteer" from Jegs. They list an Omni based manual R&P for $220.
Who\'s yer Data?

parklane

The Ford guys are using a Cavalier R&P, and it works really well from what I've heard. If you use the Z24, it's quicker steering - only 21/2 turns lock to lock.
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

You have to match the steering geometry to the original steering, the Cavalier works good on 50's ford, but the Horizon will more closely match a Falcon for length.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

btrc

Thanks for the ideas.  The kit I mentioned looks like it bolts to a center link. I'll have to make a trip to the salvage to check all these out.

Bob
Bob

tomslik

Quote from: "btrc"I just bought a 63-1/2 Mercury Comet.  It has power steering and absolutely no steering feel.  I'm looking to switch it to R & P steering but it has rear steer unlike the common front steer Mustang II.  I believe the suspension is the same as the early Mustang and I found a kit to do it but at $2000 it is way over my budget.  Does anyone know any donor car prospects with power rear steer Rack and Pinion.

Thanks
Bob

how about something like this;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33589&item=7950984459&rd=1
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

50chevydan

I might be wrong but I think a 1991-1997 lebaren would have what you are looking for as will some other front wheel drive cars. You might want to check it out before you take my word for it because I am just working off of memory and could be wrong, but if it works i think that is one of the easier R&Ps to set toe on. Hope I could help.
                                                                          Dan

btrc

Thanks Tom,
 That ebay item is great info.  I'll probably do my own setup but the picture and parts list helps a lot.

Bob
Bob