Flex a lite cooling fan

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 19, 2005, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I bought the 16 inch Syclone flex a lite cooling fan.

The car has a Griffin aluminum radiator.

Flex a lite says to mount the fan directly against the radiator with supplied nylon bolts/ pins through the core.

In the past I used small foam pads between the plastic fan mount and the radiator.  I am concerned with the plastic of the fan wearing through the aluminum tubes from vibration.

comments?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I have never thought much of the plastic bolts. I had one brass radiator that leaked when they were installed, and since then, I have used brackets to hold the fan. My opinion.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HOTRODSRJ

I have never seen or heard of a fan flush mounted rubbing tubes until holes appeared. I have seen a couple of fins dented or twisted.  But, I understand where you are going with this. Simply make your own rubber mounting system under the shroud at the mounting corners.  

Some ZIP tie kits from NAPA have neoprene rubber protectors and really do a good job of mouting and vibration dampening.  Of course...a rigid mount is more preferable.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

Jbird

It's really hard for me to push those plastic pin things through the fins on a high dollar radiator. I've so far as to have tabs tigged onto the radiator to use as mount points for the fan. I only use the supplied mounting junk as a last resort. Just my two cents worth.
        Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I bought the 16 inch Syclone flex a lite cooling fan.

The car has a Griffin aluminum radiator.

Flex a lite says to mount the fan directly against the radiator with supplied nylon bolts/ pins through the core.

In the past I used small foam pads between the plastic fan mount and the radiator.  I am concerned with the plastic of the fan wearing through the aluminum tubes from vibration.

comments?

once upon a time a guy told me that with the hi torque fans, the push thru zip ties would chew up a radiator with the start-up of the fan.
i build mounts, i can't afford another 6-700 dollar radiator....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list