Need Rambler Help!!

Started by MrMopar64, February 20, 2004, 06:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMopar64

I know there are some Rambler guys here so maybe someone can answer my "?"
A guy came over yesterday to look at the Sedan Delivery and said that I had the oil filter hooked up wrong  :?...
I thought I put it back like it came apart but now not sure    See pix below for details

Thanks for any help you can offer  :)

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

enjenjo

If the line going to the side is the pressure line, you have it backwards.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Gambler

Quote from: "MrMopar64"I know there are some Rambler guys here so maybe someone can answer my "?"
A guy came over yesterday to look at the Sedan Delivery and said that I had the oil filter hooked up wrong  :?...
I thought I put it back like it came apart but now not sure    See pix below for details

Thanks for any help you can offer  :)

MM64  8)

Hey, saw you found this place, just wanted to letcha know this is a great site!  You should post a link to your site, I know the guys here would flip when they see what you've done to your car.

Bad news on mine, my mechanic who was helping me with it (mainly with the use of his dads/bosses shop) got fired..so I need to do some re-thinking on my project  :?

Ryan (magikman74 with the 59 Rambler)

MrMopar64

Quote from: "Crosley"My Crosley had a filter like this.  The pressure line hooked into the bottom as i recall like enjenjo says.

Thanks I changed those around yesterday now the other thing I've been told is that these filters leak alot and that I'll have trouble if I run full oil pressure through it.......Their telling me it should only be a partial flow........ any comments

Thanks
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

enjenjo

The filter should see full oil pressure in, but have an open return into the pan or some other area with no pressure restriction. If you have it hooked to the original fittings, there should be no problem.

MrMopar64

Quote from: "enjenjo"The filter should see full oil pressure in, but have an open return into the pan or some other area with no pressure restriction. If you have it hooked to the original fittings, there should be no problem.

Well the return goes into the head  where the rocker arm gets it's oil...... So this won't work??? I think my grandfather put this on he bought the car new so even though I think I have it back like it came off you think it may not be right??? I know there is a plug on the left side of the motor that I was told was for the drain for the filiter but I know when I worked on the motor I did not take anything off there or put that plug in there so that is why I'm not sure what to do
Please let me know if you think this wil work or I need to find another way to do this... BTW there is only 1 hole in the head to oil the rocker

Thanks
MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com

enjenjo

As you describe it, I'm not sure that it was ever set up right. It's been way too long since I had a Rambler engine like that, but I don't remember the rocker arms getting oil from an external line, i though the oil passages were internal, through the block deck. If so, the filter would not filter much oil because the pressure would be about equal on both sides.  I will do some research to see what is the correct way to plumb the lines.

enjenjo

Ok, I dug into some of my old books, and as I thought, the rockers on a 196 are oiled through the head, and into the front rocker stand. The plug on the head you are connected to taps into that oil passage. I would reconnect into the crankcase to make the filter more effective.