Door lock questions

Started by alchevy, January 12, 2005, 09:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

On my '40 Chevy, I still have the door handles inside and out. There is a hard piece of wire that was used to lock and unlock the door on the inside. I have not been able to find these in any of the places I've looked. I know the options are wide open as to how to lock the doors on a street rod. Without shaving the handles off, what's the easiest fix? I bought a kit to redo the mechanism inside the door, but have not installed it yet.
Ideas, please.
Thanks,
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

You talking about the lock rod that had the button on the end at the top of the door, or do you have something else in mind? As I recall, there was only one outside lock in the right door on a 40.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

alchevy

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. I have new outside door handles (for '37-'39 but fit the '40) on the car allowing me to lock both sides. There's one of those on both doors. I don't know if someone over the years bent one of them differently than the other one...they don't match, don't even mirror each other.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

I'm still not clear on this. If the lock is in the outside handle, they usually locked the handle so it wouldn't turn. The door could still be opened with the inside handle, but the outside handle was still locked.

Most Chevys had an extra lock cylinder below the handle on the right side, and a button on each door to lock from the inside. Rod linkages from both went to a lever on the latch, actually two levers that were linked together.

So, which system do you have? What do you need to know? What are you trying to do?

alchevy

I will have to get some pictures of what I currently have and post them here so that you can see what I'm talking about. I can lock both doors inside and out...the hard piece of wire that allows me to lock & unlock from the inside is loosely in place and it falls out of place several times.

www.astreetrodder.com

DrJ

Quote from: "40chevy"On my '40 Chevy, I still have the door handles inside and out. There is a hard piece of wire that was used to lock and unlock the door on the inside. I have not been able to find these in any of the places I've looked. I know the options are wide open as to how to lock the doors on a street rod. Without shaving the handles off, what's the easiest fix? I bought a kit to redo the mechanism inside the door, but have not installed it yet.
Ideas, please.
Thanks,
AL

Get a piece of drill rod, or go to an upholstery supply and ask for "edge wire". Either one, only bend once, second bend will crack and break it.
In fact you may have to hit it with a torch to take the temper out/

alchevy

Here's a picture showing my current setup. The piece noted at the top is what keeps falling out. Maybe when I get door panels back on, it will work fine.

40 chev> at the bottom of this picture, is the location of the screw to use to take the outside door handle off.
AL

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

Ok, that lock rod is held to the lock by a spring steel clip that snaps over the rod. Are you missing that? I might be able to find an Aveco number if you need one.

47 ragtop

There is a small thin spring steel U-shaped clip that snaps over the piece that the lock rod goes into. I t holds the lock rod in place.

alchevy

Now, we're on the same page...yes I must be missing that clip and a part number would be helpfull, thanks.
AL

www.astreetrodder.com

C9

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, that lock rod is held to the lock by a spring steel clip that snaps over the rod. Are you missing that? I might be able to find an Aveco number if you need one.

Is that the same type of tempered and blued steel retainer that keeps throttle rods on the throttle arm in 50 to 59 Fords?
They're probably used before and after 50-59, but those are the years I'm familiar with.

If so, I have one of the old Dorman orange and plastic cans with varied sizes of these.
Pretty sure I can find it too.   :shock:

If the rod you're trying to retain goes to a flat piece about 3/32 - 1/8" thick and the hole isn't too far from the edge one of these may work.

I'm guessing these may be available at a NAPA or similar parts house.
(Older the better on the for-real parts houses.)

I can post a pic if needed.

If you think one of these will do it and you can't find one locally I can send you one.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

alchevy

Let me check the kit that I bought a few years ago to redo the mechanism inside the door and make sure there's not one in it.

www.astreetrodder.com

enjenjo

QuoteIs that the same type of tempered and blued steel retainer that keeps throttle rods on the throttle arm in 50 to 59 Fords?

Yes it is. Some use the same as the ones on the throttle links, and some are bent differently. The newer cars use a plastic clip to perform the same function, but they don't always interchange. Aveco, and Restoration Supply seem to have most of them available yet.