Exhaust wrap/insulation

Started by WZ JUNK, July 31, 2005, 06:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am looking for some high heat insulating material for exhaust tubing.  A friend is running a Mazda rotary engine RX 7 in a SCCA  road racing class.   The exhaust is down the side of the car and out near the rear wheel.  The exhaust is so hot (about 2000 degrees F ) that it is burning the paint off of the car and the shifter is so hot that they cannot keep their hand on it during the race.  The last super duty high heat insulation he tried caught on fire.  He needs to wrap the exhaust pipe and insulate the heat from the body and surrounding area.  Does anyone have an idea?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

There is that silicone and fiberglass stuff that they sell at the Nats, but I don't remember the name of it, or the company that sells it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

While doing research for a turbo installation, one source claimed that the most effective heat barrier is a piece of sheet metal with an air space on each side.   ....It worked for me!

If there is enough room, perhaps a larger diameter pipe could be split and installed between the exhaust pipe and the body.  ....Leaving the outer side open improves heat dissipation.

As for the gearshift heat, is he using a non-metallic shift knob?  ....Wood would probably tolerate heat more than most plastics, but a teflon knob should withstand several hundred degrees.   .....If that doesn't work, how about a water-cooled shifter?   :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Leon

Are the pipes coated?  The newer coatings are good to over 2000 degrees and keep the heat inside the pipe till it exits.  The guy that does my coating has some grey/black stuff that is like what the Nascar boys use.

348tripower

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I am looking for some high heat insulating material for exhaust tubing.  A friend is running a Mazda rotary engine RX 7 in a SCCA  road racing class.   The exhaust is down the side of the car and out near the rear wheel.  The exhaust is so hot (about 2000 degrees F ) that it is burning the paint off of the car and the shifter is so hot that they cannot keep their hand on it during the race.  The last super duty high heat insulation he tried caught on fire.  He needs to wrap the exhaust pipe and insulate the heat from the body and surrounding area.  Does anyone have an idea?

Try these guys, www.designengineering.com

Don
Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Leon"Are the pipes coated?  The newer coatings are good to over 2000 degrees and keep the heat inside the pipe till it exits.  The guy that does my coating has some grey/black stuff that is like what the Nascar boys use.

Had the pipe coated at the local jet engine rebuilding plant.  Melted the coating off.  Turns out that this exhaust is hotter than a jet engine, which is hard for me to imagine.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rx4ord

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Had the pipe coated at the local jet engine rebuilding plant.  Melted the coating off.  Turns out that this exhaust is hotter than a jet engine, which is hard for me to imagine.

You'd better believe it  :wink:

What type of exhaust is your buddy using?
2 into 1, short primary or long primary?
What is the ID of the tube?
Resonators?

Lucky for him, you guys sit on the wrong side of the car...
I've got one here, it gets so hot that it burns my feet  :shock:  :lol:
When I was young I went hard and fast.Now I\'m old I still go hard, only slower