What Rear?

Started by bombcan, December 27, 2004, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombcan

The rear end of my 60 Chevy wagon has started grinding like a wheel bearing is going out.  I called my local NAPA store, (friends) and priced the bearings, well over $100.00 each, plus the seals.

I'm thinking maybe I should look into a later model rear  instead of putting all this work into a 45 year old one.   I haven't measured anything yet, but does anybody know of a later model rear end that would be a direct bolt in, or simple swap?

Thanks

Rob

enjenjo

There is no direct bolt in, other than what you have. There are several GM rears that are the right size, but you would have to build the brackets to hold them in place, or transfer them from the old rear. 65 to 69 full size 10 bolt would be close, and a 68 to 72 Nova would be good too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Rob, Have you pulled an axle to see if the bearing is bad?  If you're sure that's what's making the noise you can get bearings thru Summit by asking for Ratech part number 9110 or you can get them on this website http://www.store.yahoo.com/ratech/8gmax5coch.html  They're about the same price at either place...around $45.  I haven't seen them much cheaper.  Or if you've got an Applied Industrial Technologies store near you you can buy it over the counter by using part number RW-607 but unless you get a discount thru where you work or something it might be a little expensive.
George

GPster

I'd think about going the old way and finding a junk-yard axel and changing it and hoping that it had a good bearing on it. Memory makes me think that the axel are the same from '58 to and including '64. You would need the same side as what you are replacing because the axels are different length per side. There is also a possibility that '56 and '57 are the right length but memory tells me that the '55 had a different bearing OD. The way we used to change pumpkins on these things I don't think there's any differance in spline diameter and count on any of these things as far as usage (6 or 8) or gear ratio. The thing I do remember is that the OD of the bearings was almost a press fit into the housing ends. We used to use a little threaded press that fit between the back of the wheel flange and the brake backing plate to get these things apart. If yours comes out easy then maybe the bearing locked up and the OD of the bearing has turned and worn the housing. '58 rear suspension with coils is a little different but I believe that '59 - '64 where all the same so those would fit whole. Maybe, GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

Axle bearings '56 thru '64 are the same. '55 is slightly larger in diameter. Last ones I bought were J.C Whitney 12-13 years ago and they were in that $45 range that George mentioned whereas Sealed Powers were $140 or so.

'59 - '64 axles are for sure the same length. Seems like I had some in a '56/'57 housing and I had ti space the drum just a tad...can't exactly remember the deal on that...it was only 25 years ago.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!