Econoline brakes for 9" Ford

Started by Scrap Fe, December 19, 2004, 07:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrap Fe

I am putting 11" x 2.5" mid 70s Econoline (Bendix) brakes on my '39 Chevy.  I have purchased all the component parts but I want to be sure I am putting it together correctly before I make my first stop.  Does anyone have any information on assembly of these brakes?

TIA

phat46

Quote from: "Scrap Fe"I am putting 11" x 2.5" mid 70s Econoline (Bendix) brakes on my '39 Chevy.  I have purchased all the component parts but I want to be sure I am putting it together correctly before I make my first stop.  Does anyone have any information on assembly of these brakes?

TIA
Sounds like the brakes that were on my 9" in my project. I used a Chiltons manual to assemble them, there was a nice exploded view that helped a lot.

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "Scrap Fe"I am putting 11" x 2.5" mid 70s Econoline (Bendix) brakes on my '39 Chevy.  I have purchased all the component parts but I want to be sure I am putting it together correctly before I make my first stop.  Does anyone have any information on assembly of these brakes?

TIA
Sounds like the brakes that were on my 9" in my project. I used a Chiltons manual to assemble them, there was a nice exploded view that helped a lot.

Thanks Joe.  I will try to find a manual at the library tomorrow.

phat46

xThanks Joe.  I will try to find a manual at the library tomorrow.[/quote]

Geeze Rick, I thought I was the only guy that would dissassemble BOTH sides of the brakes and then shelve them for a few years.... :oops:

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "phat46"xThanks Joe.  I will try to find a manual at the library tomorrow.

Geeze Rick, I thought I was the only guy that would dissassemble BOTH sides of the brakes and then shelve them for a few years.... :oops:[/quote]

No you're not the only one Joe.  I had to make up some spacers to adapt the Econoline backing plates to the small bearing ends I have on the rear end housing.  If I had been smarter 9 years ago when I narrowed the rear end, I would have put the big bearing ends on at that time and saved myself a whole bunch of work.  But instead, I got some more practice machining the spacers, TIG welding the spacers to the backing plates, and remachining the holes in the backing plates for the small bearing bolt holes.  It is small things like this that add up to a lot of time that could have been spent on another phase of the project.  But shoot, I only have 21 years invested in this project so far but hopefully I'll be riding next year.

You and Sharon have a Merry Christmas.

58 Yeoman

As far as I know, all the car and small truck brakes were pretty much the same setup.  I scanned in two pics out of my motor manual.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Scrap Fe

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Here's the second one.

Thanks Phil,  this will save me a trip to the library tonight.