HF tool review and a tip

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 24, 2005, 11:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have a HF tire mounting setup.

Tonight I mounted some new tires on the wheels for my car trailer. A trip to Texas next weekend makes this necessary.

The dismount and install of tires went easily..... how ever , I could not get the freaking tires to air up and 'pop' the beads on the wheels.

I tried a tie down strap around the tire diameter , kicking the wheel into the beads, pushing the wheel side to side inside the tire.  I needed a blast of air like the big machines use.

Then I retrieved my gas powered leaf blower.  I took the long snout off it.  I gave the tire a blast from the leaf blower on one side of the  wheel , while I had the blow gun blasting air into the valve stem ( minus the core) on the opposite side.  

Worked like a champ!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

rooster

Tony, I have had mine now for about 2 years it has at least payed for its self 10 times, I payed 25 bucks for it. Greg and I decovered something the other night that helps when braking the bead loose, place a crowbar behind the flange so it stays closer to the rim. We still dont have ours bolted to the floor for the lack of room, that would help to.

:D No Worries

BELLM

Wife got me one for Christmas.  Need to bolt it down, good bargain.
Where are you going in Texas?
Leaf blower is not near as exciting as starting fluid and a match.  POOF!!
:lol:

48flatbed

I bought one of these from HF about 8 years ago when they were $70.  I have used and abused it ever since.  After several years of use the tire removal tool tended to dig into the rim instead of sliding around smoothly (especially on aluminum rims).  I tried rounding off the leading edge of the tool, grease, armour all, nothing helped, then I noticed the cast on ends of the tool were square where they joined the shaft.  I slipped on an adjustable wrench opposite the removal end and twist the leading edge up off the rim a little as I walk around the wheel.  works great with no gouging of the rim.  

jon

Crosley.In.AZ

I will mention the scanky looking piece the HF tool is siting on is 1/4 inch diamond plate I had out back.  It is rusted like it has been in Ohio.

I welded the tool to the plate.  Moving it around is a chore at this point.. LOL

When dismounting a tire I rolled my Miller 210 mig onto the opposite side of the tire... works great
Tony

Dirk35

You gotta go through Oklahoma on your route to TX? If so, It'd be cool to have you stop by.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "BELLM"
:

I think he's afraid to tell us.
'fraid we will make him eat BBQ and jalapenos :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

whizzer24

When i was a kid dad did all his own tires and in the winter starting fluid had more than one use worked every time.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "BELLM"
:

I think he's afraid to tell us.
'fraid we will make him eat BBQ and jalapenos :lol:

Vance

the story is ;

Most Texans do not think of El Paso as  part of Texas.  :lol:

that is what my brother tells me, he lived there for 30+ years.

We will drive over from my house ( about 440 miles) load up my brothers dead car and drive back.

His 20 yr old son ( I call the kid "the brain storm") , decided to travel to El Paso since he was out of work rather than look for a job.  We are told the timing chain broke. 1991 Olds 4 door car, 3.8 V6.  It is the kids car , but in my brothers name.... I am sure the parents on this bbs understand the situation.  The kid does not live at home.  :wink:

I just built the transaxle in the Olds  last year after the kid ran the trany out of fluid.  The "brain storm's" comment: "I did not think it was leaking that much"......  :shock:
Tony

BELLM

Good luck!  I understand, got 3 of them critters that I gave my last name..  
If you were going to be in Central Texas was going to offer to buy you lunch!!  Safe offer since you are going to be about 12 hours away!!
LA is closer to El Paso than Beaumont, Tx.

EMSjunkie

I feel your pain Tony!
Elpaso is closer to you in AZ than it is me here in Amarillo.
(the REAL Tx panhandle 8)0
was gonna make the same offer of lunch.
hope you have a safe trip.
take along a english to spanish translation book.
it will come in handy :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****