PC computer questions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 16, 2004, 08:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Help me understand this stuff

Looking at Dell computers.  The CD/DVD/CD-RW drives confuse me. Burning a CD with photos or music would be a plus for this new setup

variations offfered as I post below from Dell site;

Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

Dual Drives: 48x CD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

Dual Drives: 48x CD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

If you're willing to pay for it I'd go with the "Dual Drives: 48x CD-RW Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability"   Then you can play and record both CDs and DVDs.  A double layer DVD writer will store 9.4 GB on a DVD-R.  You could back up my 6000 pictures and info PLUS yours all on one DVD.  If you don't already have a CD writer at least get that.  They're dirt cheap and really handy.  You might not really need a DVD writer.   If you do want one and want to save a buck or two you can usually get a better deal by buying one on sale at one of the super stores and installing it yourself in the second bay.  It's easy.

Hmmm, you must be looking at that Dimension 8400...that's a lot of machine.  :D
George

kb426

I agree. The dual layer is most used for copying movies to one dvd. The older cd formats are used for mp3 music, photos, or file saving. I've stored all my photos on cd's for several years. If there's anything to watch for, some drives are only recommended with a particular brand of disk. That always limits you when it's time to get more. My first dvd drive would only work with HP and one other brand. The one I have now will use almost anything. The cd burners have ran just about any piece of crap made. Seem to be much more forgiving than dvd's. Dell stands behind their warranty pretty good.
TEAM SMART

purplepickup

Tony's post about DVD writers got me to thinking.  I've thought I might want a DVD writer but they were out of my price range.  Now I see that Staples has an external 16X DVD dual layer writer for $99 and they also have a $20 off coupon.  That's in my budget range but I wonder if I'd really use it that much....other than to back up pictures and stuff on my hard drives. If I have a source to copy movies it might be worth it.   My question is.... Can rented dvd's be copied?  Or what other options do I have to make movie DVD's?  We have a lot of video tapes of movies but I read recently that they will not be making VCR's much longer.

If all I use a dvd writer to do is back up my files I might as well get an extra hard drive and use that since they're a lot cheaper.
George

Carps

I agree with George's advice on which to buy.  With this stuff, more is going to be just enough next week and two weeks later, not as much as the new machine, so the more you get now, the longer you'll wait before it's completely obsolete.

As for using all that stuff, I went for total overkills and got me a Mac G5 Dual processor, 2gigahertz and a couple of gig of memory with room for another 6.  I never thought I'd use it either, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  Glad for that coz< i've learned to make movies that actually look like store bought stuff (some have even suggested better) and I'm slowly updating all my old analogue video footage to digital so I can edit and burn it to DVD.  The best bit is that this machine also has the capability of converting from PAL to NTSC, so instead of all the messing around and expense I've had to go thru in the past, it should now be easy for me to create and send copies of my rod run videos to anybody whenever I have the time.  And I may have plenty of that sooner than I'd like.  The first trial run is en-route to the US now.  So as soon as it's confirmed OK, I'll start mailing.  Yeah, that includes all you guys still waiting patiently, I have your addresses, so hang in there, you won't be dissapointed.

So, considering the original question.  Buying computer equipment is no different to selecting horsepower for your hot rod.... "Too much is just enough."
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

kb426

To the question about copying movies, inless you haver a copy of dvdxcopy or some other program that breaks the copy protection, you won't  be able to copy. If you have no burner at all, it makes sense to the dvd because it will also burn cd's. My software choice is Nero.  We have less problems with it than easy cd creator. If you are capable of installing your own drive, try Newegg. com. Good prices, very good service.  Most everything is done online. No sales people.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I buy a computer every 4-5 years. so I buy the big dog at that time.

our fist computer in 1996 was a 133mhz, with a 1.8gig h-drive . still runs , we still use it.

then we jumped to a 1200mhz witha 40gig h-drive in 2001.

I also have an iMac, original green unit.  I like it and have looked at the G5.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)