brake fluid remote res

Started by nzsimon, December 16, 2004, 04:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

I ordered a billet oil fill cap with my last shipment from yogi's it of course didn't fit as it was for a gm and I was guessing it might be the same as Toyota

Anyway I got a mate to turn up a threaded boss out of stainless and tonight I stated to make a resevoir (sp?) for the remote brake fill that will mount to the firewall

I cut a scrap bit of stainless pipe in half and tigged two sides on to it then welded in the floor
I cut a hole with a drill and a file for the boss to fit in in the top ( not shown )

I cant weld in the back untill I have welded in some hidden bolts and some pipes to hook up to the master cylinder

I have about an hour in this so far when polished it will look like a comercial  piece
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

enjenjo

Looks good Simon. Isn't stainless fun? I find myself using it more and more.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

nzsimon

worked on it till the wife said spare the neighbours just have to tig two pipes in the rear and I can finish weld the rear on

It needs a lot of polishing as I scratched it all over

It is a little heavy but it will look cool
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Bruce Dorsi

Very nice work, as usual, Simon!

I have questions about remote m/c reservoirs, which you or someone else may be able to answer.

Most m/c's use a flexible, bellows-type cover gasket, which allows the fluid level to fluctuate, without allowing the ingress of air/moisture into the reservoir.

When making remote reservoirs, what provisions are incorporated to prevent vacuum build-up, and to prevent moisture contamination by atmospheric venting?

I know the cap is sealed to the reservoir with an O-ring and it's sufficient to keep out air/moisture.   .....Is there an issue with "pulling a vacuum" inside the reservoir, or is it too minimal to be relevant?

If the bellows-type gasket is kept on the m/c, does it function as intended with the fluid level at a higher elevation?  ...(Assuming the remote reservoir is plumbed in BELOW the cover gasket.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

There are a bunch of the bellows type gaskets available, so when I make one I try to incorporate one in the cap. But if you think about it, the older ones just had a vent, so I don't think it's critical.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Very nice work, as usual, Simon!

I have questions about remote m/c reservoirs, which you or someone else may be able to answer.

Great question on the bellows, I have been communitcating with ssbrakes on there remote set up see how it works and asked about the bellow and he thought I was asking about the reservoir which he says they use a vent valve to get the air out of the master cyl.  but yet to answer how they keep the air out of the reservoit.  From what I see they just have a sealed top and figure they have a small amount of air/moisture and by not introducing any new air/moistre it is not an issue.  This has been bothering me I want to just silver soldier some elbow fittings on the top of my mc cover and run them to a reservoir  the m/c is under the floor and the truck 50 F1 is my baby but not a show car but a driver.  Ed ke6bnl
Maybe a check valve to let air into the reservoir but not out so you don't keep getting an exchange of air and chance of condensation and moisture WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS??

Most m/c's use a flexible, bellows-type cover gasket, which allows the fluid level to fluctuate, without allowing the ingress of air/moisture into the reservoir.

When making remote reservoirs, what provisions are incorporated to prevent vacuum build-up, and to prevent moisture contamination by atmospheric venting?

I know the cap is sealed to the reservoir with an O-ring and it's sufficient to keep out air/moisture.   .....Is there an issue with "pulling a vacuum" inside the reservoir, or is it too minimal to be relevant?

If the bellows-type gasket is kept on the m/c, does it function as intended with the fluid level at a higher elevation?  ...(Assuming the remote reservoir is plumbed in BELOW the cover gasket.)
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,