Homologated Pontiac

Started by TKD_Master38, December 12, 2004, 03:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKD_Master38

Hi guys,

Needing some ideas here for a future project that I want to start gathering pieces for now.  I have a 1931 Pontiac roadster or more technically a convertible coupe?  I has no door frames around the window, but it does have roll up door glass.  The top folds down with Landau irons on each side.  Indian head outside radiator cap, nickle plated grill, and running lights on top of the fenders.  Nice looking and definitely rare.  I have never seen another one, let alone one made into a rod.

I like the idea of an homologated car.  I will go resto rod as far as the body goes, but want an all Pontiac drive train and suspension.  I may deviate from that with regard to the front suspenison. ie air bags or whatever.

Thinking of a 389 with (Tri power, I have one) or maybe one of the older straight six overhead cams from the 60's, or one of the overhead late model sies from a Trailblazer or the Pontiac equivalent if it exists.  I don't plan on using anything too old, since at this age this will definitely be a keeper and will get lots of miles. I suppose a corporate V8 could be considered Pontiac.

I also seem to recall that some model of Pontiac makes an independent rear suspension.

Thanks in advance guys.  I am enjoying this forum immensely.

Bruce

zzebby

What about the late model Pontiac GTO, the aussy  powered one.   With a 6 speed or auto would be smooth.
The OHC 6 from the sixries would be cool but not the performance of the new GTO.  EFI  and computer control would make it a great driver.
Tempest from the early sixties had an independent rear transaxle but was  an oddball amd had the flex driveshaft from the engine.   No overdrive, top gear was direct only.
Find a rollover new GTO.

Kctom

Quote from: "TKD_Master38"Hi guys,

Needing some ideas here for a future project that I want to start gathering pieces for now.  I have a 1931 Pontiac roadster or more technically a convertible coupe?  I has no door frames around the window, but it does have roll up door glass.  The top folds down with Landau irons on each side.  Indian head outside radiator cap, nickle plated grill, and running lights on top of the fenders.  Nice looking and definitely rare.  I have never seen another one, let alone one made into a rod.

I like the idea of an homologated car.  I will go resto rod as far as the body goes, but want an all Pontiac drive train and suspension.  I may deviate from that with regard to the front suspenison. ie air bags or whatever.

Thinking of a 389 with (Tri power, I have one) or maybe one of the older straight six overhead cams from the 60's, or one of the overhead late model sies from a Trailblazer or the Pontiac equivalent if it exists.  I don't plan on using anything too old, since at this age this will definitely be a keeper and will get lots of miles. I suppose a corporate V8 could be considered Pontiac.

I also seem to recall that some model of Pontiac makes an independent rear suspension.

Thanks in advance guys.  I am enjoying this forum immensely.

I'm hard at work on a 30 Pontiac  3-window coupe. Taking the wood out was one heck of a job.  The car is about half done. Hope to be driving it about March. I used a sbc to power it with 700 r-4 tranny Ford 9" 370 gear. Ford explorer disk brakes in rear ,Tci front end with disk brakes. Just got done installing a Camero emergency hand brame set up. Things are going great with the car.
TOM
Bruce

32 Chevy

Quote from: "zzebby"What about the late model Pontiac GTO, the aussy  powered one.   With a 6 speed or auto would be smooth.
The OHC 6 from the sixries would be cool but not the performance of the new GTO.  EFI  and computer control would make it a great driver.
Tempest from the early sixties had an independent rear transaxle but was  an oddball amd had the flex driveshaft from the engine.   No overdrive, top gear was direct only.
Find a rollover new GTO.

I vote for the 60's overhead cam 6 banger. That motor was ahead of it's time, out out decent power, and had a cool sound. Your Poncho probably came with a 6 so that would keep with the Resto theme.

My 32 chev was originally a 6 banger, and I agonized for quite a while about going with a 6 or 8 cylinder- I went with the Buick aluminum  V8 motor just because it was different but sometimes still wish I had a neat hopped up 6.

Dave R

slocrow

I see a channeled black car with a black top and that 389 painted Pontiac blue. Maybe a silver interior. Straight axle and quick change, both polished. Your choice of tire wheel combo. Lose the fenders....... :lol:

Oh yea, welcome abroad.......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...