next question.. ford brakes

Started by Dave, December 07, 2004, 06:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I ordered the bearings with the o rings for the rearend of the 32 today and that should fix my leaks. I need to replace the brake shoes on the rear end but I cant remember what size they are. Heres some info I gathered on for 9 inch rears and im wondering if some one has a book that they can put a year and a model to the sizes of these brakes. It would sure make it easier to go to the parts store knowing a year and model of ford product. You know how them parts guys can be.  Ok here are the shoe sizes I have come up with.
10x2.5
11x1.75
11x2.5

The other thing im still thinkin bout is possibly changing to power brakes. I have a ton of pedal but the rears never did want to lock up good but its kinda hard to test now as they have rearend lube all over em. The fronts lock up great and the pedal is rock hard. The other delima is I took great pains to cut the hole in the floor for the trap door for the M/C and re glass the inner edges as the floor is double sided with a foam core and if I change to power the door is gonna be too far forward I think. At least to fill the rear of the M/C..
Any Ideas or suggestions...
Dave :?:  :b-d:
ps: then there is this dam winter thing although its not supposed to snow here again till friday :(

enjenjo

10 by 2.5 was Bronco, late 60's, some early Econolines, and GT350 mustang

11 by 1.75 was early 60's full size Ford cars and F100

11 by 2.5 late 60's early 70's full size, mostly wagons, and 70's F100, F150

There are other applications, and sizes you don't have listed
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Guess an easy way to find out the shoe size would be to pull a drum. Think that might work? :P
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"10 by 2.5 was Bronco, late 60's, some early Econolines, and GT350 mustang

Thanks Frank I knew you would prolly answer.. That gives me a good start I hope to pull it down twen xmas and new year if not sooner. Im going out with a muzzle loader starting this weekend so we have another 10 days of hunting then im done. After this id like to get the car done..
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"10 by 2.5 was Bronco, late 60's, some early Econolines, and GT350 mustang

Nuttin to do today while im waiting for my kid to show up so i pulled one of the axles and installed the new oring bearing then checked the brakes.
How bout 10x2.5 71 torino with a 351.. Thats the info ive got so far.
Were headed to the meat store to drop off our venision for sausage and hunter sticks (ya ill bring some to the bbq build) and i need oil and filter for 2 vehicles so im going to pick up the shoes also.
Dave

Dave

Ok heres some usefull info for you record books. Seems 2001 ford rangers had 10x2.5 rear brakes. They bolt right up to a 9 inch ford although i was gonna measure the offset of the axle and forgot to do that. I may do that this week just to know what it is. No one tells you what the shoes fit they just sell brake kits with backing plates drums and all the stuff for 9 inch rears for a certian offset. Well lemme back up a little I did see refrence to cop car brakes for the 11 inch brake kits. I need to go thru all my street rodder mags cause i remember some articles about 8 and 9's and the brakes they used or could use. One thing I did figure out was if a person wanted to on the 10 dia brakes you can use early torino shoes and a hardware kit and an adjuster kit and they would work just fine with the ranger backing plates. I was just thinking and i thought someone out there might be interested in this info.
Ill add the axle offset soon as i get time to measure it. Oh ya its a big bearing nine inch.
Dave