Early Ford brakes

Started by TKD_Master38, December 11, 2004, 01:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKD_Master38

Hi,

New member here with a question.

I know that it is possible to adapt F-100 backing plates and shoes to early Ford drspindles and drums.  It is also possible to adapt finned aluminum Buicki drums to early Ford spindles and backing plates.

The F-100 uses bigger shoes, and the brakes are self energizing.  The Buick drums are bigger, cool better and look so cool!

My question is, why not use the F-100 backing plates and shopes on the early spindles in conjunction with the Buick drums?

Now don't tell me to just go ahead and convert to discs, been there and done that on several rods.  I just want that old timey look with serviceable brakes.  :-)

Bruce

enjenjo

The Buick drums are 12" diameter, the F100 brakes are 11" diameter. won't work, not enough adjustment. :lol:  It can still be done thought. You can use 40's Lincoln brakes, 12" diameter Bendix like the f100 brakes only bigger, with the buick drums. Or you can dig up some early 60's Lincoln front drums, aluminum finned like the Buick, but 11" diameter to fit the F100 brakes

By the way. welcome to the RRT
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

F-100s weren't the first time that Ford used the self-energizing brakes. I had '48 F-1 brakes on the front of a '48 axel (on my Model A). Change out the whole spindle as the kingpin is the same diameter. These are also 11" brakes so you'll have to use the Lincoln drums. It is also easier to get 14" rims to work on 11" drums. The F-1 spindles have a steering arm on them to use a drag-link. If you want cross-steer you can remove the steering arm and get around it with early Jeep parts. GPster

Bib_Overalls

Wilson Welding repops the 12" 39 Lincoln backing plates.  http://www.wilsonweldingandmachine.com
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks