Sway Bar

Started by tonto1, December 11, 2004, 07:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1

Hi;
'41 Chevy Business Coupe with a Mustang II front suspension.
I finally have the car basically driveable and am wondering about a front sway bar.
If I remember right, I used a Street Rod Engineering crossmember with stock M II control arms.  It's the crossmember that bolts to the Chevy frame in the original holes.
Are the sway bars pretty much universal for the M II front suspensions, or does each manufacturer make a special one for each application.

I'd appreciate some advice :oops:

Thanks
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

paul2748

I'd contact the manufacturer of the front end.  Because of chassis differences, the measurement between the links is probably different.

I took a stock MII sway bar, cut in in the middle, and added a tube that fit over the ends.  Have run this about 15 years with no breakage.

Charlie Chops 1940

On my 40 Chevy convert with MII front end I used a 1-1/4" Camero/Firebird front bar and heated and bent the ends in. The ends were still too long so I cut them off, shortened them, welded them back on, fabricated some bolt on brackets for the front of the lower a-arms, made up links, done. Been on there for 15 years, 80K miles, no problems. Took the stock '40 front bar, tweaked the ends slightly and used it in the back. I can scare myself in the offramps....

At the time I did all that I don't think anyone offered a front bar specific to the MII and the MII bar is a dumb piece (IMHO anyway.)

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I had a stock mustang bar on my 47, worked better than nothing. Charlie is right, it is a dumb peice.

On the Desoto,with a Mustang type front end, I used a swap meet Midget torsion bar, a pair of sway bar bushings, and Speedway's steel torsion arm, along with some bar stock to make up the ends.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tonto1

I figure a sway bar is actually just a torsion bar, and I really wouldn't want to weld on a torsion bar.
Thanks for the input :b-d:
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

GPster

Quote from: "tonto1"I figure a sway bar is actually just a torsion bar, and I really wouldn't want to weld on a torsion bar.
b-d:
I welded on mine and changed it into a light bar for my headlights. There, I got that out of my system. GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

I know that welding on sway bars seems to be one of those "sacred cows," but the part that does the torsion work is the center. The part aroung the bend is just a lever. The torsion bar part doesn't care whether the lever is part of the original piece, welded on it, or attached by splines or threaded and tapped or whatever.  Granted, if ones welding skills aren't up to holding the two pieces together then don't do it.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I know that welding on sway bars seems to be one of those "sacred cows," but the part that does the torsion work is the center. The part aroung the bend is just a lever. The torsion bar part doesn't care whether the lever is part of the original piece, welded on it, or attached by splines or threaded and tapped or whatever.  Granted, if ones welding skills aren't up to holding the two pieces together then don't do it.

Charlie

Ok i gotta get my nickle in here guys. Its an anti roll bar not a sway bar. If your car is swaying all over the road id check the tire pressure or make sure the wheels are on tight! :lol:
Ok i feel better now.
Dave

alchevy

On my '40 Chevy, we only used a rear sway bar from Chassis Engineering. My car does fine without a front sway bar. It has a Fatman front MII cross member on it.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com