Looking at new vehicles

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 26, 2004, 11:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

We attended a 'new car' show on thursday.  Lots of new cars to look at and NO sales people.  We sat in many new cars we couold never afford...

On the way into the show we passed the back side of the Civic Center in down town Phoenix.  I had never noticed one of the rear gates to the loading dock before.  The up rights for the gate are shaped like camshafts.

I like the 2005 Mustang. it looks good in person and I fit the car well.

The C-6 vette looks good in person too!  I've seen photos of the vette and Mustang, sometimes the vehicles look good only in photos... KWIM?

The 2005 Pontiac GTO has a 6.0 engine .  Now if the car had some looks to match the power train.

The Cadiliacs are neat cars now, not my style but they are not old farts cars any longer

We came away this year with Janice liking the Accord & Acura best for cars, same as last year.  The Acura is nicer than the Accord , but not really worth the extra money.  The Benz are nice , over priced and the seats still suck ( too hard)

If I bought a new 1/2 ton truck tomorrow, probably would be a Ford.  GM trucks have not changed much in years , I will not buy a Dodge truck, cept mayb the RT-10 Viper powered truck.  :shock:    

The Nissan Titan looks and feels cheap inside.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

btrc

Yesterday, after doing some very early shopping for my wife who had to work, I went for a test drive in a 2005 Mustang GT.  I liked the feel of the car, I thought it handled excellently and it sounded great.  I was a little surprised at the acceleration, it just didn't seem that great but I was comparing it to my 427 Cobra so I suppose that make sense.  Also the car was an automatic which would not have been my choice but was all they had.  It did shift nice though, with very quick shifts under acceleration without being harse.  I'd be looking at buying one but I've convinced my wife that our next car should be a Mini Cooper and she is hard to unconvince.
 One thing I found strange was that my friend, the sales manager at the dealership, hadn't even ridden in one of the new Mustangs yet and he has (3) 60's Mustangs at home.

Bob
Bob

Mikej

Bob, Have you taken a Mini Cooper for a ride yet? It would be ok for a toy but I wouldn't want to go to far in one.

KustomLincolnLady

I like the new mustangs too!!!! They are pretty slick looking. I could have one  :lol:
Debb
I'm not showing that bike to ROB!!!  :roll:  :shock:  LOL

btrc

Mike,
 I've test driven Mini Coopers on two different occasions when I've been up to Minneapolis.  Both have just been around the neighborhood.  I havn't even gone on the freeway in one.  Have you heard they aren't any good on the highway or something?
 I was really impressed by their go-cart like handling but maybe it would get to you on a long trip.

Bob
Bob

Darrell's37Coupe

Here's a picture of the new Saleen 2005 Mustang 400 H.P. with a price
of only $48,000

Dave

Quote from: "Darrell's37Coupe"Here's a picture of the new Saleen 2005 Mustang 400 H.P. with a price
of only $48,000

How bout some pics of the coupe? Are you doing anything on it?
Dave

phat46

Quote from: "Crosley"We attended a 'new car' show on thursday.  Lots of new
I like the 2005 Mustang. it looks good in person and I fit the car well.

, I will not buy a Dodge truck, cept mayb the RT-10 Viper powered truck.  :shock:    

My nephew is a ford tech at a local dealer; he has driven a couple of the new Mustangs ans reports that they are  "o.k." Says they don't have much bottom end but scoot pretty good once they get up on the cam. Of course he's comparing them to his built 5.0 Capri (Mercurys mustang).
He also has driven the new Ford Five Hundred, with the C.V. trans and all he says is that it's "weird" Says you keep waiting to feel the shift...LOL.
I think the C.V. trans is an idea that is long overdue. Seems that it would be simpler than a regular automatic and in the future would have great potential for racing....ever seen a snowmobile with a seven grand clutch?  :shock:
Crosley, just curious, why don't you like the dodge trucks, do you know of problems with the trans, or is it just a personal dislike? I have owned nothing but Dodge vehicles for more than a decade and the biggest problem I have had is replacing the radiator in my '92 conversion van, I own an '02 1/2 ton Quad cab and I've had zero problems with it. I am the same as you except with G.M. products, i won't even go look at 'em when i'm new car shopping, because of problems I've had with the ones i did buy before. Funny how different people feel about different brands, i know many people who have owned G.M. products and have no problems with them, but I won't even consider one. Maybe it's time I broke down and tried one again....

58 Yeoman

I don't know why, but it seems that GM has the best resale value, then Ford, with Dodge being last.  My 99 Ranger is worth less than half what it cost me new, so I'll drive it till it drops; it only has 47k on it right now.  I like the Dodge Dakota's, but heard they had probs with the ball joints?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

NEW vehicles can be fickle....

I do not like the seating in the Dodge 4 door trucks.  Couple of friends have them , no problems with the trucks.  Dodge trannys are lasting fairly well lately... even in the Cummings power'd trucks. IF you turn up the diesel power... trouble happens. Usually the converter clutch first.  A $1,000.00 billet cover , 3 disc lock up converter solves the problem

My brother just bought a 2004 Kia sedona mini van.  My wife's sister has owned 3 Kia's with zero troubles and the sister puts the word NO in no maintenance.  :shock:

My brother was looking at used Honda mini vans at 17-20k $$. These were 4-5 year old vans.  He bought the new Kia at the same money  with a 10 yr & 100k mile warranty.  I hope the Kia works well for  him.

We have a couple of the 5 speed automatics Ford uses behind the 6.0 diesel motors at work.... interesting trannys

The 5 speed Ford autos are dirt simple to me.... as I recall 7 or 8 solenoids on the valve body.  A simple valve body too.

:D
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mikej

Quote from: "btrc"Mike,
 I've test driven Mini Coopers on two different occasions when I've been up to Minneapolis.  Both have just been around the neighborhood.  I havn't even gone on the freeway in one.  Have you heard they aren't any good on the highway or something?
 I was really impressed by their go-cart like handling but maybe it would get to you on a long trip.

Bob

Bob, I thought the ride was pretty harsh. Wife thought so also. Said its like a skate board. It was fairly quick and fun to drive but not for a daily driver. just my opinion.

alchevy

It looks like to me that car manufacturers are trying to see who can build the UGLIEST vehicle. Not the ones being discussed so far, others. Kind of a "If you build it ugly-looking enough, they will buy it."

Example:
The Honda Element is different looking and I like the way the doors open up and the seats flatten out, but it is a box.
Have you seen the Toyota version?
Do we really need two that look like that??
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

58 Yeoman

Is the Honda the one with half the paint job missing?  Looks like someone decided to save money on paint, and leave half the car in primer.  You can just bet that the yuppies are paying extra for that look. :lol:

New car showings aren't the same as they used to be.  They used to keep the cars hidden until a certain date, then have a big opening event.  Nowdays, they are just as ugly as last years model, so they don't bother.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil