48 Chevy patch panels

Started by enjenjo, December 01, 2004, 09:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Does anyone make a patch panel for the part of the rear wheelwell where the fender bolts on for 41 to 48 Chevy cars? I need both sides. I would take complete wheelwells too. It's a lot of work making them, it will probably be cheaper to buy repros if they are available, or I would take good used ones if someone has a couple laying around :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MO_JUNK

Enjenjo, I don't have a patch panel but I've been trying to get a message to you. I can help you out with the doors. Send me the details, Sam

Charlie Chops 1940

Aha, the old rusted away deal....I've never heard of a source for a patch panel or a whole wheel well. Made strips in the olden days. Someone does do the nut cage but making those little slots for them is a pain in the butt. I might have a few of those aroubd somewhere.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

Maybe that's the reason that they weld the fenders to the body and mold them in with bondo for that KUSTOM touch. You could "Pro Street" it and build a set of wheel tubs for big tires, paint it purple and put a Rambler engine in it. I should be in bed, Good Night. GPster

enjenjo

I've made strips too, and If I have to do it I will, but the customer wants glass fenders, and I am all out of rod to weld them to a steel body :lol:  Seems to me that the panel manufacturers are missing a good one here, fits several years, and very few don't need at least some repair. I am just trying to save him some money.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Briggs&StrattonChev

I have never heard of a company that makes them, though it would be a good idea

on my 46 chev coupe I did the strip deal

btw, i'll do an intro as soon as I get a little time, so be nice!  I know ive met a bunch of you and have seen you on the HAMB before, so maybe that buys me a little time? haha

42AeroSedan

But does anyone offer a patch panel for the front fenders between the wheel and the door fender extention??  I am in need of one for the lower left or a complete fender.  I have seen the fiberglass replacements but I am not sure if I want to go that route.

Thanks,
Larry

Briggs&StrattonChev

42aerosedan--is your rust all the way to the bottom of the fender, or does the hole still have a reasonable amount of good metal surrounding it?  If it has good metal around it, it wouldnt be too tough to make your own flat patch panel, because those fenders are pretty flat towards the bottom.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"Does anyone make a patch panel for the part of the rear wheelwell where the fender bolts on for 41 to 48 Chevy cars? I need both sides. I would take complete wheelwells too. It's a lot of work making them, it will probably be cheaper to buy repros if they are available, or I would take good used ones if someone has a couple laying around :lol:

I hadda do the strip thing too. I'm sure you know that Chevs of the 40's has  caged nuts ( :shock: ).  Frank, maybe this is a golden opportunity for you, start making those patch panels in your "retirement", you'll soon be rich!  :lol:

42AeroSedan

Quote from: "Briggs&StrattonChev"42aerosedan--is your rust all the way to the bottom of the fender, or does the hole still have a reasonable amount of good metal surrounding it?  If it has good metal around it, it wouldnt be too tough to make your own flat patch panel, because those fenders are pretty flat towards the bottom.

I just recently purchased this car.  The fender appears to have been fixed before because the area has some plastic in it and it is separating from the fender itself.  I haven't gotten to it to inspect just yet but it appears to be mostly rusted away.

Thanks,
Larry