MII power Steering Re-visited

Started by Dirk35, December 01, 2004, 06:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

I searched the archieves but didnt really come up with an answer.

MII power rack from 1974 MII with Chevy Saginaw Pump that I pulled off of a 1976 Ford Van (go figure).

1st: Which line goes to where on my pump? The hole closest to the cab has a larger hole, so I am thinking it is the high pressure side and will go into the threaded hole on back of the pump. The smaller hole, being smaller leads me to think that it goes to the little tube sticking out of the pump that requires a line clamp.

2nd: Pressure Reducer shims, I never really seen much coverage of where to get them and if they work that well. Where can I get them, how do I put them in?

Please assist.

enjenjo

The small fitting is pressure, large one return. For the pressure reducer, Bob  P recommends the one from a Chevette pump. I have used the ones from Dodge Omni, and Dodge Dakota. If you want to buy one, Heidt's and RB's both have them, about $15

FWIW, since you have a Ford engine, I would get the pump from a Mustang or Pinto, and the brackets to fit it to your engine. If you have a GM Saginaw pump from a Ford, it came from an E series van, which also had a Saginaw steering box. The brackets to fit a Pinto pump to your engine are real common.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Rob

[

2nd: Pressure Reducer shims, I never really seen much coverage of where to get them and if they work that well. Where can I get them, how do I put them in?

Mullins sells the shims (they seem the same as whats on the "reduced pressure valve" and they're quite cheap.  I paid $25.00 (CDN) from Hortins in Canada, but I have no idea where and how much state-side.  I ended up using a couple of the shims on the reduced pressure valve, to get a slower feel to my steering, and the tests are promising (not "officially" on the road yet)!  The shim kit has good instructions and a "tool" to hold the valve in a vise without damaging it while working on it.

Rob

www.37chev.homestead.com

rooster

If this is the bracket its yours! off 86 5.0 Merc!

Dirk35

Quote from: "rooster"If this is the bracket its yours! off 86 5.0 Merc!

Denny, I need to e-mail you.

Or can you e-mail me? do not put the space between the "K" and the "1"

dirk 1935@yahoo.com

rooster