Buick/Chevrolet Caprice spindle interchange

Started by WZ JUNK, November 28, 2004, 07:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I need to know if 1983 Buick Le Sabre(sp)  and a Chevrolet Caprice use the same spindles.  If so I need to know where I can buy a set of dropped spindles.  I need them for the Buick but I thought I might have more luck if the Caprice spindle would work.  I am thinking I might find a listing for a dropped spindle for the Caprice but not the Buick.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

unklian

Superbell Tech had Caprice spindles,and Moon.

No idea about Buicks.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "unklian"Superbell Tech had Caprice spindles,and Moon.

No idea about Buicks.

I checked the Super Bell list that I had and it shows dropped spindles for the later models but nothing for the 83.  I am wondering about using the later model spindles.  I thought I read somewhere you could change out one or two of the ball joints and the newer spindle would fit the older car.  I think Frank will be back in a day or so and we will see if he has any input.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

unklian

Some of the Street Stock guys used to use factory full size Caddy spindles to get a 1" or 1 1/2" drop with stock looking parts.

No idea what year.

enjenjo

This question has two answers, yes and no :lol:  If it has a 4 3/4" bolt pattern, then an S10 dropped spindle will fit. If it has a 5" bolt pattern, then a 70 to 82 Camaro dropped spindle will fit, but the original rotors won't fit it, you have to use the Camaro brake parts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Also the full size GM spindles are pretty much the same from 78 on. Some mpdels LeSabre, Bonneville, Olds Royale, Caprice and maybe others used two different suspension setups, depending on the ordered options. The key is the wheel bolt pattern. 4 3/4" is the same as the intermediate cars, and 5" is the heavy duty setup
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.