Looking for Olds Rocket gurus

Started by grumpy, November 25, 2004, 01:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpy

Hey all,
I don't post much, but I'm here watching! :D
Anyway, I need to chat with someone who's a certified Olds guru.

I've talked to different people on other sites about this, but want more opinions.

I've got a 55 Olds 324 with an adapter and a 39 Ford 3spd.

I thinking of selling off the adapter and 3spd, because I really would rather have a automatic. One, because I'm a big guy and theres not a ton of room for my big butt and three pedals(Going in a Model A)

I don't know if I want a stock Hydro. What other options might I have that won't break the bank?

Thanks ahead of time, grumpy
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

enjenjo

Since you already have an adapter, why not use a Flatomatic C4 conversion? Only hard part would be rigging up a flex plate.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Hey Grump, someone ver on the HAMB classifieds has a C$ for sale pretty cheap...fresh and only a couple bills.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

grumpy

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Hey Grump, someone ver on the HAMB classifieds has a C$ for sale pretty cheap...fresh and only a couple bills.

Charlie
I don't know/didn't know that the machined adapter I have would work with anything else but the 39 Ford 3spd I have...

I heard somewhere that theres a pretty easy tranny swap but can't remember where I saw it.

Yeah, I saw the C4 on HAMB. I frequent there alot. I've gotten advice from there too.

Just hoping for a first-hand account from someone who's done one themselves.

Thanks All
Tim
Howland Road Hounds
grumpy@zoominternet.net

enjenjo

The Flatomatic bellhousing bilts directly to a 48 and earlier flathead engines so it will bolt to your Olds with the 39 trans adapter on it. I think the later Olds flex plate is the same diamter as the  flywheel you have, so it would be a matter of adapting it to your engine, with the proper spacing to fit the torque convertor depth. If you make a couple extra, you could sell them and have yours for free.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.