O/T Taking pictures and posting here to the board

Started by 348tripower, November 28, 2004, 08:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

I am going to ask, what is probably a dumb question here.  :oops: What resolution is every body using for their pictures. I can set my camera to 5 megapixels for pictures. I think I am on about 4 now, have to check that later as the camera is in the work shop. My problem is resizing to post here. Seems everybody posts larger pictures than I can. Would this have to do with the high resolution using up more space? Will a lower resolution allow me to increase the picture size? I also loose some clarity when resizing these from  the Kodak Easy Share program. I can use either Polyview of Arcsoft photo impression to resize, still the same fuzzy results. What ya all think? :shock:
Don
Don Colliau

Dave

Quote from: "348tripower"I am going to ask, what is probably a dumb question here.  :oops: What resolution is every body using for their pictures. I can set my camera to 5 megapixels for pictures. I think I am on about 4 now, have to check that later as the camera is in the work shop. My problem is resizing to post here. Seems everybody posts larger pictures than I can. Would this have to do with the high resolution using up more space? Will a lower resolution allow me to increase the picture size? I also loose some clarity when resizing these from  the Kodak Easy Share program. I can use either Polyview of Arcsoft photo impression to resize, still the same fuzzy results. What ya all think? :shock:
Don

test

Bib_Overalls

My camera has three quality settings.  On one I can get about 300 low resolution pictures.  On the midle setting, which I use almost all the time, I get 103.  The best setting give me 35 but they are, to my eye, no better than the medium grade for e-mailing and posting purposes.

I usually resize my pictures to 600 x 398 pixels.  A good size for posting and emailing.

This board has a maximum picture upload size of 90KB (Click on the red "Allowed Extensions and Sized" hot link).   My resized and saved pictures typically run from 30 to 40KB.  However, this board also has a maximum picture size of 550 pixels wide by 500 pixles high.  So, for posting here I resize to 549 x 364.  The photo below is 549 x 364 and 31.4 KB.

So the quick rule is no more than 550 wide, 500 high and 90KB.

I have Windows XP and use Ulead Photo Express 2.0 SE.  I save my pictures to sub-folders in the system established "My Pictures" main folder.  I typically display the pictures in the sub-folder as "Thumbnails" or more often as "Filmstrip".  If I hold the cursor over the picture the system will display the image size.  I can also get the image size by "right clicking" on the image and selecting "Details".

Ulead was a frustrating to use until I figured out the following short cut.  After I download or "Transfer All" I close the program.  Then I go to my "My Computer - Programs - Ulead - Photo Alblum".  When I open the alblum I get a filmstrip display of all the pictures.  I delete all of the pictures that I don't want and move the rest to a My Pictures sub-album for editing. When I close the Ulead Photo Express Album I leave it completely empty.  I find it is easier to process the next transfer if their are no residual images  in the system.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

alchevy

I use Ulead Photo Explorer 6.0 and it's a free download from www.ulead.com. It's a thumbnail viewer of your files. I like to use it to resize my pictures. When I take pictures, I leave the camera on the largest resolution the camera will do, cause you can always go down in size after the picture is taken, but if you try to enlarge the picture it will get grainy on you. Ulead has a way to resize a group of pictures at one time. I also use an older version of MGI Photosuite to edit my pictures.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

av8

For pictures I'll be sharing on the internet, I shoot in NORMAL mode on a 3.3 MP camera. Typically this provides a jpeg file of around 650K that measures 2040 x 1530 pixels (28 x 21 inches) at a resolution of 72 PPI.

I've been using Adobe PhotoDeluxe for image editing for about eight years and it's dead simple, plus has some excellent features that allow it to performa far beyond what you'd expect of an inexpensive program, thanks to its PhotoShop parentage. Sad to say, Adobe has found the error of their ways and has removed PhotoDeluxe from the market, requiring instead that their customers step up to PhotoShop. Anyway . . . .

I resize my internet images to no larger than 7 inches horizontal and just forget about the pixel count which remains proportional to the physical size of the image. I do brightness/contrast corrections as necessary, usually very little, and often handled with Adobe's very competant automatic correction. I usually add one click of sharpness and then save the file as a jpeg as a LOW or MEDIUM quality file. In most cases this makes the file small enough to fit the requirements of the RRT.

If I have a single image to add to a message I usually use the facilities provided here. If it's more than one, however, I use a hosting service, PictureTrail that was touted to me by Purplepickup. I've used several different services and this one is the absolute best I've seen so far.

Anyway, here are three versions of the same picture, saved in progressively higher quality files . . .

As you can see, there's not much difference in quality.

The last image is attached using the facility provided by the RRT.