Mustang II IFS kits

Started by 42AeroSedan, November 24, 2004, 01:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

42AeroSedan

I am planning on putting one on, any experiences and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I have looked at FatMans, Spartan Rod Works, Total Cost Involved and Chassis Engineering Inc.  I will most likely go with the coil-over shock set up if that relates to anyones experiences (Good or Bad).

Thanks,
Larry

tomslik

Quote from: "42AeroSedan"I am planning on putting one on, any experiences and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I have looked at FatMans, Spartan Rod Works, Total Cost Involved and Chassis Engineering Inc.  I will most likely go with the coil-over shock set up if that relates to anyones experiences (Good or Bad).

Thanks,
Larry

i put a heidt's superide in a 57 chevy pu that they pulled a gooseneck horse trailer(not a small one,either).
they couldn't kill it but they DID blow out 1 coilover.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

The only isse I know is with the use of aftermarket control arms with the kits, but that can be overcome with good planning. Installed correctly, any of them will do the job. Some do have better instructions than others. As many as I have done, I rarely look at the instructions any more, but as I recall, CE had pretty good instructions. I just shop on price most times, because I tweak them so much that most any of them will work.

What's this going under?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

paul2748

I put in a Progressive Automotive crossmember about twenty years ago.  Updated it five years ago with a Heights coil over set up and tubular arms.  I haven't had any trouble with any of it at all

42AeroSedan

Quote from: "enjenjo"The only isse I know is with the use of aftermarket control arms with the kits, but that can be overcome with good planning. Installed correctly, any of them will do the job. Some do have better instructions than others. As many as I have done, I rarely look at the instructions any more, but as I recall, CE had pretty good instructions. I just shop on price most times, because I tweak them so much that most any of them will work.

What's this going under?

Thanks for the reply, I will be installing this in a 42 Chevy and just can't decide which one to buy.  I also just saw on in the Speedway catalog that looked reasonable.  This is the first one of these I am doing so input upfront is going to be helpful as well as intructions.   What about the bolt-in vs weld in units?? Does one seem better that the other??

Thanks,
Larry

enjenjo

The advantage to a bolt in crossmember, it's easier to locate, iut's all predrilled. But in the end, most people weld them too. R$B's has a nice bolt in crossmember. I would advise a tubular strut rod kit for use in a Chevy, the original type strut rod loads the frame heavily in a weak area, and tends to crack it. Use a Tbird rack. most kits are made to accept the Tbird rack too.

Leon

I've installed 4 Fatmans front ends and like their unit.  The early ones weren't as good but they've improved them a bunch over the years.  I did see one of RB's bolt in units on a chevy "tophat" frame and where the upper spring hat bolts to the frame it uses long, thin pieces to reach the bottom of the frame where it bolts in.  owner had to weld it in because of movement.  Go for a weld-in unit.

Bib_Overalls

Can you use coil overs with the Chassis Engineering set up?
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Can you use coil overs with the Chassis Engineering set up?

You can use coilovers with any of them, they make a coilover that fits in the Mustang shock mount.

42AeroSedan

Thanks for the info, I am leaning towards the Fat Man's unit.  I am re-thinking and probably will stay with the basic unit with the spring hats and standard coil springs.  I almost hate to spend the extra time and money on pieces no one will ever see.

As for the basic assembly I do not want to use strut rods at all.  I am hoping to use tubular upper and lower a-frames.  Do you think that is an issue??

Thanks again,
Larry

Leon

Quote from: "42AeroSedan"Thanks for the info, I am leaning towards the Fat Man's unit.  I am re-thinking and probably will stay with the basic unit with the spring hats and standard coil springs.  I almost hate to spend the extra time and money on pieces no one will ever see.

As for the basic assembly I do not want to use strut rods at all.  I am hoping to use tubular upper and lower a-frames.  Do you think that is an issue??

Thanks again,
Larry

If you go with the Fatman tubular arms, they have interchangeable plates on the lower arm that allow you to convert from springs to coilovers to airsprings.  The only addition would be the shockmount if you went to air.

alchevy

On my '40 Chevy 2 door Sedan, I used a Fatman crossmember. I also bought a set of No-Bind Strut Rods from www.fulltiltstreetrods.com. Someone wrote me the other day and said that they were having trouble getting in touch with those folks at Full Tilt Street Rods. Has any else had any dealings with these folks lately?
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com