Mallory Unilite Centrifugal Advance Access

Started by C9, November 20, 2004, 04:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

I'm running a series 47 vacuum advance Unilite distributor on the 462" Buick engine in my roadster.

We set up the centrifugal and vacuum advance when it was installed.
Ten years ago in fact.
The curves were very close to what Mallory supplied and worked fine.

Now, I'm wanting to change the centrifugal advance curve and for the life of me I can't remember how to access the centrifugal advance mechanism.

I dug out the instructions that came with the distributor and it didn't say anything about how to do it.

Same deal with several Mallory oriented tech sites and in fact their information is identical to what I have.

For those not familiar with the Unilite, the centrifugal advance mechanism is located below a plate that swivels.  Said plate carries the light module and connects mechanically to the vacuum advance arm.

I have the distributor out and the plate stripped of the light module.
There are no screws or e-clips or any other hold-down devices visible.
I think the plate simply levers off the machined center post, but don't want to force it and end up bending the plate.

So what the heck am I missing here?

Besides a few marbles.... :(
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Kctom

Quote from: "C9"I'm running a series 47 vacuum advance Unilite distributor on the 462" Buick engine in my roadster.

Ten years ago in fact.

Now, I'm wanting to change the centrifugal advance curve and for the life of me I can't remember how to access the centrifugal advance mechanism.

I dug out the instructions that came with the distributor and it didn't say anything about how to do it.

Same deal with several Mallory oriented tech sites and in fact their information is identical to what I have.

For those not familiar with the Unilite, the centrifugal advance mechanism is located below a plate that swivels.  Said plate carries the light module and connects mechanically to the vacuum advance arm.

I think the plate simply levers off the machined center post, but don't want to force it and end up bending the plate.

Look on the side of the dist.  Should be a couple small set screws that screw into the plate. I think I have a spring kit if you need one. Let me know and I'll check and see if I still have it.
TOM

rooster

Quote from: "C9"I'm running a series 47 vacuum advance Unilite distributor on the 462" Buick engine in my roadster.

Ten years ago in fact.

Look here! when you get to this page go down to assemble drawings.
Good luck
Rooster  http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/mal_distributors.pdf

C9

QuoteLook on the side of the dist. Should be a couple small set screws that screw into the plate. I think I have a spring kit if you need one.

Ezzactly what I did.
Went out to the garage after posting the above and noticed two small set screws.   :oops:
They were retaining the plate.

Got it all apart and got the advance set ok.
Just have to reinstall the dist and shoot total timing.
Decided to try a little more initial advance and limit the total advance.

The distributor is the YT style and you have to bend the tab to change total advance.  You can bend the spring perches as well, but I think it will be better to swap advance springs.  (Bending the spring perches changes where on the rpm scale the curve comes in and the springs change the curve proper.)

Thanks for the info and the offer on the springs.
I may take you up on your offer.... 8)
C9

C9

QuoteLook here! when you get to this page go down to assemble drawings.
Good luck

I did and thanks.
Printed it off and stuck it in my "Buick" folder.

Now all I need is the exactly right rods and jets from Summit and I can get the carb squared away for this altitude.
3333' here vs. 350' where I came from.

Interesting paradox is leaning out the engine then the weather turns cold which requires a little richer than I have it right now.

Stumble, stumble, sneeze, cough.... :?

Thanks for the good luck wish.
Sure can't hurt.... :wink:
C9

OFOF

Quote from: "C9"
QuoteLook here! when you get to this page go down to assemble drawings.
Good luck

I did and thanks.
Printed it off and stuck it in my "Buick" folder.

Now all I need is the exactly right rods and jets from Summit and I can get the carb squared away for this altitude.
3333' here vs. 350' where I came from.

Interesting paradox is leaning out the engine then the weather turns cold which requires a little richer than I have it right now.

Interesting that you would mention the weather Jay.  I spent Sunday night in your new home town due to the 3-4 inches of snow that I couldn't keep off of the windshield on the 34.  Jan Spradling told me that they didn't get that much snow all of last year.  Not what I would call roadster weather, or coupe weather either as far as that goes.
Don.

Stumble, stumble, sneeze, cough.... :?

Thanks for the good luck wish.
Sure can't hurt.... :wink:
Don Palfreyman