lokar shifter ?

Started by tomslik, November 21, 2004, 06:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

here's what i got: 1 powerglide lokar shifter.
here's what i wanna do; install on a 350 turbo or a 200R4.

can a guy get different detents for the shifter?
building different brackets ain't no thang but it'd make my life easier if the detent can be changed...
anybody done the deal?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat rat

Quote from: "tomslik"here's what i got: 1 powerglide lokar shifter.

building different brackets ain't no thang but it'd make my life easier if the detent can be changed...
anybody done the deal?

Tom, when I changed from a 350 to a 700R I asked Lokar that question and yes they'll change it. But the cost 3 years ago was either $75 or a $100. I said nuts to that, got a whale of a deal on a new one ($125) and sold the old one.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "phat rat"

anybody done the deal?

Tom, when I changed from a 350 to a 700R I asked Lokar that question and yes they'll change it. But the cost 3 years ago was either $75 or a $100. I said nuts to that, got a whale of a deal on a new one ($125) and sold the old one.

I am not that crazy about the Lokar shifter, I have yet to get the neutral safety to work properly ( I did call them for assistence but still not propery working) for that matter the shifter is still not working correctly, far better then a cable system but I would think about going to a B&M or Gennie  and not have the cable and button system in the handle for my next project..  My thoughts Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

phat rat

I haven't had a problem with the safety switch at all. The detents on the new one for the 700R4 work better than the one for the 350 though, very positive.

btrc

I just bought a kit from Lokar to switch my shifter from a C6 to an AOD.  It came with some different brackets, shift arms and a new button for the shifter handle.  Cost was $63.  A whole lot cheaper than a whole new shifter.  I suppose switching from a powerglide would be a little more complicated but I'll bet they have a kit for it.
I haven't had any problem with my neutral safety switch.
Bob

Dave

Quote from: "Ed ke6bnl"
Quote from: "phat rat"

anybody done the deal?

I am not that crazy about the Lokar shifter, I have yet to get the neutral safety to work properly ( I did call them for assistence but still not propery working) for that matter the shifter is still not working correctly, far better then a cable system but I would think about going to a B&M or Gennie  and not have the cable and button system in the handle for my next project..  My thoughts Ed ke6bnl

My Lokar works great but you really have to pay attention to the adjustment to get the neutral switch to work right. By the way I got a floor mount and after riding in different cars with the trans mount the floor mount is the only way to go. No vibration or shake with the floor mount. I got the high one cant remember how long it is but its above the bottom of the dash when its in park... looks cool and no shake.
Dave

Crosley.In.AZ

I thought these shifters had a detent plate that could be replaced?

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

wasn't aware they made a floor mount, only knew of the tailshaft mount and top mount.

EMSjunkie

quote]

If ya wanna sell it let me know, I might be interested. I'm running a 'glide in my coupe. got a short handle one on it now.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "phat rat"wasn't aware they made a floor mount, only knew of the tailshaft mount and top mount.

I got mine at kzoo last year so they have been around since then...
Dave