Goin' Huntin'

Started by phat46, November 12, 2004, 06:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

It's that time off the year again; gun season, good luck to all the guys (and gals) who deer hunt. I'm leaving this morning for camp in the U.P.
See y'all in a week or so.... :D

purplepickup

Good luck and have fun, Joe.  I don't see any snow in the forecast for tracking but there's supposed to be lots of sunshine....perfect for napping under a tree while the deer sneak by :lol:

Enjoy da Yoopers :D
George

Good Luck! After hunting the same timber for over 20 years,the old timer sold the farm and the new owner wanted to lease us the ground to hunt for $2,000! We decided to pass...not that we couldn't afford it but it just didn't feel right.In the past,we always dropped off steaks,roasts and * from the deer we harvested as well as a few pheasants during the season and the former owner was elated with this arrangement.Today is opening day....guess I'll do a little yard work and watch the ball game!I must be getting soft in my old age...at this stage of life,I really enjoy just being in the woods,seeing them frolicking in the timber,and am finding it harder and harder to pull the trigger.As a youngster,it was the quantity of game killed that was important,as I got older it became the quality of game...trophies...that was important.Now,just being outdoors or watching my old bird dog track down a wiley old rooster is a great day afield.I no longer judge the success of the day by the game taken.Be safe and have a fun hunt!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

phat46

Quote from: "phat46"It's that time off the year again; gun season, good luck to all the guys (and gals) who deer hunt. I'm leaving this morning for camp in the U.P.
See y'all in a week or so.... :D

Just got home from hunting, I see some others here have been out this season too.  
 I was very fortunate this year and I got a nice 7 point on opening day; really nice size deer, about 140# dressed. A brisket shot with my .35 Marlin; he went about 30 yards. I had a doe permit also, but I wanted to wait tiil late in the season to try to fill the tag, so i could legally be in the woods all week and help drive for  the other guys. The plan was to fill the doe tag on Saturday, the last day we were to hunt. We have an OLD Allis Chalmers tractor that we use to tow a small trailer with seats on it into the woods with all the guys from camp. The old trusty Allis decided to die on the way into the woods Saturday morning, at the bottom of the biggest hill in the woods. The magneto died so I was  stuck trying to get a mag repaired in Iron River Mi. on a Satuday during deer season.  It's a long story, but we managed to get the tractor out about 15 minutes before dark, but no doe this year.

Fift4fe

Just returned last night from hunting.  Seen a few deer, nothing to shoot at.  The deer herd in our area (Baldwin) seems to be lower than last year.  No one in our camp scored.  Had one guy shoot and miss.  Thats about it.  Will keep hunting until end of all seasons (rifle, muzzle & bow).
OVER!
OVER?

Did we say it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Dave

Quote from: "Fift4fe"Just returned last night from hunting.  Seen a few deer, nothing to shoot at.  The deer herd in our area (Baldwin) seems to be lower than last year.  No one in our camp scored.  Had one guy shoot and miss.  Thats about it.  Will keep hunting until end of all seasons (rifle, muzzle & bow).

I saw 10 turkeys tonite and one doe... No shots but im stilll the leader where we hunt. 1 lousy deer  :x
Ill hopefully be out every nite after work this week and thursday am and friday sat and sun am pm...
Dave