Wilson Welding Brakes

Started by 2buck, November 20, 2004, 11:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2buck

I have two friends who are building cars which will incorporate the Wilson Welding front brake assemblies. Each person has told me that the brake hoses reccomended by Wilson Welding seal deep into the tapped wheel cylinder hole. They say the end of the hose fitting seals with the inner area of the wheel cylinder. I'm only familiar with the brake hoses that seal with the copper washer at the brake hose's fitting flange (for lack of a better word).

Is this an acceptable deal? It would seem that the hose would have a tendancy to loosen up and then the brake fluid would not be contained.

Anyone with experience with this type of configuration?

Thanks for the input. :D
Bucky

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a set of 4 Wilson finned aluminum backing plates with Buick hardware for my next project...hadn't really looked at them. I assume ( a bad thing to do) that the fronts take a Buick hose and the backs take the appropriate steel line with inverted flare fitting.  I'll take a look at them later if I can get at them easily...they're in the "pile"  somewhere. I don't recall that drum brake front wheel cyclinders  depend on a washer to seat, but I have to admit that I haven't done a new system with front drum brakes in at least a couple of lifetimes....

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

If anyones in the market for them I have a set of new rear wheel cyls and all hardware  both frt and rear for a 59 Buick
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "2buck"I have two friends who are building cars which will incorporate the Wilson Welding front brake assemblies. Each person has told me that the brake hoses reccomended by Wilson Welding seal deep into the tapped wheel cylinder hole. They say the end of the hose fitting seals with the inner area of the wheel cylinder. I'm only familiar with the brake hoses that seal with the copper washer at the brake hose's fitting flange (for lack of a better word).

Is this an acceptable deal? It would seem that the hose would have a tendancy to loosen up and then the brake fluid would not be contained.

Bucky

Unless I am mistaken, and I am human, Ford wheel cylinders of "the day" were taped 1/8 NPT female and used brake lines that had a 1/8 NPT male nipple on the end.  NPT threads taper and seal without washers or whatever. The brake line attached to the frame with a clip.  SoCal sells "stelth" brake lines for this application -  black covering over the modern braded stainless hose.

I'm interested in the Watson backing plates and would appriciate any feedback you all might have.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

DRD57

Quote from: "2buck"I have two friends who are building cars which will incorporate the Wilson Welding front brake assemblies. Each person has told me that the brake hoses reccomended by Wilson Welding seal deep into the tapped wheel cylinder hole. They say the end of the hose fitting seals with the inner area of the wheel cylinder. I'm only familiar with the brake hoses that seal with the copper washer at the brake hose's fitting flange (for lack of a better word).

Bucky

I have the Wilson brakes on my coupe. I use fittings from Pure Choice and braided stainless lines, I think they are -3.

Tell them both to remove the stainless anchor bolts (if they're so equipped) and throw them away. Replace them with Grade 8 and use red Loctite. There's actually enough thread to use bolts an inch longer than Wilson supplies. On two cars that I know of (mine included) the stainless anchor bolt snapped. I was lucky it happened right in front of my shop but when it happened to my buddy, he was on the fwy doing 75 when he hit the brakes. He's lucky he didn't hit anything when that brake locked up solid and the car turned hard right.

Charlie Chops 1940

Great tip Don. Hadn't heard about  that. When I go out in the shop I'll put a Sharpie note on the box.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

I do not have the brakes ,  that is a great tip Don!

Something to be aware of
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

flt-blk

Don,
Have  you told Bob about this?  If there is any problem I am sure he
would like to know so he can figure out what happend and make sure it
doesn't happen again.

I need to get over to his shop and check out progress on his kid's 27 I will
mention it to him.

Bob Wilson is a great guy and very concerned with quality.  He has done
some machine work for me and I recommend his products to everyone.
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

DRD57

Quote from: "flt-blk"Don,
Have  you told Bob about this?  If there is any problem I am sure he
would like to know so he can figure out what happend and make sure it
doesn't happen again.

I need to get over to his shop and check out progress on his kid's 27 I will
mention it to him.

Bob Wilson is a great guy and very concerned with quality.  He has done
some machine work for me and I recommend his products to everyone.
TZ

I have it on my list of things to do. He's kind of a hard guy to get in touch with over the phone.