Intro: Engine swap for a 1950 chevy deluxe

Started by 50chevydan, November 14, 2004, 06:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

When you get the engine out look at the ribs. If they're anything like what was in my '53  they are actually like the upright of a brace that looks like the letter "L" If you remove them without some other source of brace to support  things what you'll end up with is the firewall mounted to a plate coming horizontal off the floor, ( this is depending on my remembering correctly when I cut it up). Sometimes you only have to remove the upper parts so that the heads of the V8 don't hit them. I've even heard of people hammering them flat against the firefall where they hit. One thing come to mind when I was cutting mine up. Maybe you could drill out the spotwelds where they are tacked to the firewall and spread them out , but I was being destructive when I was thinking that so it might not make any sense. Your solid steering column offers some support  and your emergency brake shaft offers some support too. Those are both thing you might be changing so I'd make sure I left enough strength in the body mounts. GPster

purplepickup

Welcome to the RRT Dan. :D

If it runs and drives ok, I'd leave the 6 in it and drive it for a while. You can gather parts while you're having fun and when you get enough stuff to do the engine switch or brakes you can just do it without spending too much time off the road.  If it isn't a driver yet, maybe just getting it driveable would work for now.  If you're as broke as I was at your age, it's hard to put much money into a project.  Plus, sometimes it's easier to stay motivated if you don't tear everything apart which can leave a huge project to put it all back together.

Whatever you decide to do, you've got lots of experienced brains here to tap.  Have fun!
George

rooster

78 to 85 Toronado and Rivi front rotors will work too, they are 11"  Any of these are the right bolt pattern to fit on the stock hubs with very little work. All you have to do is fab a caliper bracket then. And you can usually cobble that out of a full size 4x4 Blazer front backing plate.[/quote

I see the shopping list is growing! I think the 11" would be a good choise, grab the calipers with it, plenty of those around to pick and choose. What about Master cyc and Porporting Valve,@#&^$##^%@! Sale Thanksgiving weekend It could be all ya can grab! :D