Macpherson strut question

Started by 2rods, November 10, 2004, 12:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2rods

If a strut is gone will the tire weardown real fast? I have a blown strut and the tire is worn quite a bit while the other 3 are near new. Thanks.

model a vette

Yes, it will affect tire wear just like a standard shock, maybe more. The tire will bounce on each bump more than usual, and flex the tire into the ground. It sometimes wears the outer edges first, but I have seen it take out one edge and leave the other one looking new.
Ed

SKR8PN

Yup,whut he said.
A bad strut can also aggravate any OTHER alignment problems,you may have already had.
Make certain you change your struts in axle pairs as well.
Don't change just one...................
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

rooster

Replacing struts can get very costly! 4 for my 87 parkave $850. I notice that in my Chiltons book there is a section to rebuild them! :idea:

58 Yeoman

Denny, I've got a 92 Riviera, and at Napa, it shows about $410 for both front and rear using their best struts ($235 using the cheaper ones).  Back in the 70's when VW started using struts, the after market companies came out with a shock insert that would fit into the strut, using a small amt. of oil in the strut below the insert.  Really worked well.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rooster

good to know thre is a differnt provider. The kind I have is the load lever strut dont know if can be swaped to regular strut. Thanks

58 Yeoman

The rears on the Riv are air struts.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

50chevydan

Quote from: "2rods"If a strut is gone will the tire weardown real fast? I have a blown strut and the tire is worn quite a bit while the other 3 are near new. Thanks.

If you have not changed the struts yet, mark on your strut tower where it is set at. It is a good idea to get an alignment because many cars have adjustments on the strut tower for camber and some even caster. If you set the replacements to the same spot as the old ones, you can at least keep it on the road without paying to get an alignment. Caster and camber will both pull at .5 degees but only camber will wear your tires. If you get an alignment make sure they set SAI and included angle as well, most shops will not unless you ask. I know that most of that was somewhat off the subject but tires can get expensive.
                                                                Dan