more progress pics of the exhaust

Started by nzsimon, November 13, 2004, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsimon

Tigged the exhaust up today only burnt myself in a few places

fabbed the other bracket for the other side and tigged both of them to the pipe still have to cut the end of the pipe down to get the right angle

Also have to build some mufflers to go inside the pipe not sure about how to do that but not high on the list at the moment
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

C9

Very nice Simon.

I especially like the classy bracket.  Looks like a lot of thought went into that.
The turnout is a nice touch as well.

I've been thinking of something similar with my 31 on 32 rails project.

Gonna adapt a Schoenfeld SBC gennie sprint header kit to some 455 Buick flanges - gotta use some bends cuz the Buick's exhaust flange is about 45 degrees and the SBC flange is vertical.
Shouldn't be too hard to do.

After the headers are in and fairly close to the frame it looks like I can run a pipe similar in size to yours down the frame and out the back between (and under a little bit) frame and tire which will give me a really big diameter set of tailpipes.

Here's a pic of the initial mockup fwiw.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Fat Cat

Looks good.

In the muffler department I have done it two ways. I have made a section of pipe about 2 foot long drilled full of 1/4" holes the entire length and suspended inside the sidepipe. It had a soft plug pushed down into the middle of the pipe with a 13/16" hole drilled into it. You could also wrap it with fiberglass cloth for some sound deadening. I have also found that if you look around you can find header mufflers with a 3 1/2" body. This works only if you are making a 4" side pipe. But you cut the flange down to fit inside the pipe and place a flange on the outlet side to hold it in place. Slide the whole thing in and tack weld it in place.

The further back you place the the less rumbly it will sound. I usually like to place the muffler at about 1/3 the length from the front

nzsimon

Thanks FC that is good advice I was just going to take them to the exhaust place in town they have been building mufflers and systems for years and have lots of racing experience they sell all the stuff

I was just going to give them the pipes and ask them what to do

Jay your headers look great that sprint car look really suits hotrods my pipe is just a bit of 4" stainless 1.5mm thick

Today I have to replace the window motor in the GF's lotus so that should take most of the day did the drivers side last year it is a bit of a mission
Just because it\'s written down doesn\'t make it true

Crosley.In.AZ

Simon  , sure looks good.

as C9 says the bracket is real nice  job!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)