Heat controls

Started by rooster, November 10, 2004, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Trying to get heat in the 87 park ave, blower works, where the air blows and the call for heat does not! The controls dont have cables you just set the temp and it does the rest. Ive spent the entire evening looking for away around the system to set the "call for heat " to max temp! I cant find anyway in witch the water to the core is regulated, I have found a control for where the heat blows. anyone beed down this road? My daugther just got a job and needs a warm ride.

enjenjo

I think the heat control on that car is vacuum operated. You may have a vacuum line off, or connected wrong.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

THE heat control does seem to work but just not hot enough by my thinking! New anti freeze :V old anti freeze! This experment is done. I brought my 1987 Park Ave. (3.8 L) up to operating temp placed the thometer in the floor duct at idle for 15 minutes using existing anti freeze (old!good for 0 degrees)Temp reading 130 degrees. Then drained the raditor (aprox 1 3/4 gal)added new anti freeze, brought up to operating temp,at idle 15 minutes later took reading 130 degrees. NO CHANGE!

awsum34

It might be the heater door in a bind. it's not opening up all the way. Or the vacumn, Pull a vacumn hose off the control or heater door and see if anything canges.  How's the defrost?
The only dumb question is the one you don\'t ask

rooster

Quote from: "awsum34"It might be the heater door in a bind. it's not opening up all the way. Or the vacumn, Pull a vacumn hose off the control or heater door and see if anything canges.  How's the defrost?
It all seems to work I can watch the door open and close as I increse the temp setting, defrost works well, blower works well! Im thinking t-stat not closing all the way, allowing cooler than normal operating temp.

OldSub

QuoteIt might be the heater door in a bind.

I recently replaced the a heater core and while it was apart removed  several big handfuls of upholstry padding and pine needles from the inside of the heater box.  

With that gone the heat control door moved much easier and putting the blower on high makes a lot more difference than it had previously.

This vehicle sat for a couple years before I got it, and apparently had some small furry tenants living in the heater.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

rooster

I was thinking that too! I disconected the arm that moves back and forth the door seems to go its full sweep with no problems! there are some other trap doors I cant get too, but they sound like there working ok! I just wentand got the t-stat gonna try that next!

rooster

It did need a T-stat the seal was worn away all the way around! It only made a difference of 10 degrees though, for a total of 140 degrees at the floor outlet. I dont know weather I should expect more that that are not!