Vette front clip opinions wanted, please

Started by 48builder, November 05, 2004, 10:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

OK. I may be nuts, but I'm looking for input.

I have an '87 Grand Prix clip welded to the fron of my '48 Chevy. I got it for nothing, and at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. It may still be. I have run into a couple small problems because of the clip. First, I had to notch the clip's crossmember because of the A/C compressor on the Z28 LT1 engine. Then I can't use the Camaro radiator because of the width of the clips front rails. Neither problem is insurmountable. I have a piece made to fix the notch in the crossmember, and I'll just find or buy a radiator that will work. I'd prefer to use the Z's, since I have it already and it has two great cooling fans.

So here's my question. I am doing the complete interior for the son of a friend. This friend runs a salvage yard, and he has a '85 Vette sitting there. I'm wondering if it would be worth my trouble to take the GP clip off and put the Vette clip on. I'm sure I can get the Vette clip in trade for the work on the kid's interior. A couple hours work and the swap could be done.

The Vette clip would be better because of the coolness factor, but I don't know if it would solve either problem. I know the mid 90's Vettes had a different arragement for the A/C compressor, and I'm assuming it is because it wouldn't fit down by the crossmember. I'm no Vette expert, but are the mid 80's the same platfofrm as the mid 90's? Ideally I would either be able to use the Z28's radiator or the Vette's.

I guess I'll go there tonight and take a look at the Vette and see what I think, but I wanted to get the opinions of you experts.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver