Buick 3.8 supercharged engine for street rod

Started by Kctom, November 02, 2004, 10:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kctom

Been giving some thought to putting a 3.8 Buick supercharged V-6 in the pontiac. Anyone have any info on what it takes to do it? Don't want a computer so will run a carb, so what will I use to make the plugs fire. What trans will work so it will be rear wheel drive? How much H.P. will it make?
Thanks, tom    :roll:

enjenjo

The 3.8 engine use a Computer controlled ignition, and I don't know that there is any provision for a distributor. I do know that the ignition computer module is self contained with the coil pack. You may have to come up with a stand alone crank triggered ignition. I think you still need a signal from the ECM to make the CCCI operate.  In the long run, I would go ahead and use a computer, it will be easier in the long run, and not as difficult as you might think.

For the trans, you can use a 700R4 from an S10, the small V6 has the same bolt pattern as a 3.8. There may be one bolt that is different. You might also look for one from a TA with a turbo 3.8.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Kctom1"Been giving some thought to putting a 3.8 Buick supercharged V-6 in the pontiac. Anyone have any info on what it takes to do it? Don't want a computer so will run a carb, so what will I use to make the plugs fire. What trans will work so it will be rear wheel drive? How much H.P. will it make?

Good choice; I'd run the EFI.
They are essentially the same as our Commodores; I think they make around 240 bhp at the flywheel.
Contact Con at
http://www.castleauto.com.au/

I'm sure he'll be able to sort it out, including modifying the harness.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Kctom1"Been giving some thought to putting a 3.8 Buick supercharged V-6 in the pontiac. Anyone have any info on what it takes to do it? Don't want a computer so will run a carb, so what will I use to make the plugs fire. What trans will work so it will be rear wheel drive? How much H.P. will it make?

Three guys I know locally all run V 6  471 blower motors of this style.  I know at least one of them has a throttle body fuel injection.  I have run two of the cars on the strip and they are quick but not as fast as my truck.  I have worked on one of them and drove it some.  From my experience,  I would go with a V 8 unless you have some other reason for doing the swap besides just having something different.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

doesn't the bell hosuing pattern on the buick motor have a hole in a different location?

Also... engine mounts are not on the sides of the block to go from sideways to front/back directions in the vehicle?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

rooster

I have a 87 3.8 in a FWD park ave. It has the DFI ign! I looked in my book for it and it looks like in 85 there was a 3.8 with a place to mount a DIZZY at the front of the engine. :D

Kctom

Quote from: "rooster"I have a 87 3.8 in a FWD park ave. It has the DFI ign! I looked in my book for it and it looks like in 85 there was a 3.8 with a place to mount a DIZZY at the front of the engine. :D
is there a place to mount motor mounts on the side of the engine?

rooster

Quote from: "Kctom1"
Quote from: "rooster"I have a 87 3.8 in a FWD park ave. It has the DFI ign! I looked in my book for it and it looks like in 85 there was a 3.8 with a place to mount a DIZZY at the front of the engine. :D

I tryed to see but its raining here! I think so, but your going to have to look at a rear drive model 85-87 regle maybe. The turbo models were no Dizzy installed though! Also think some ponco's came w/3.8. In 87 there were 3.8's with carb in regle's, cutless, and Grand prix!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Kctom1"

If you want to mix and match parts, you can build on a 78 to 85 RWD block, and crank, along with the front cover and cam, using the FWD heads and supercharger intake. The 85 FWD was the only FWD engine that had provision for a distributor. This setup would fit a 200R4 trans.

I bought an 85 Park Ave with a bad engine, only to find out that the 85 engine was the only year that would work. Never did find one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

This might be a good place to nose around!  http://www.buickforums.com/forums/index.php?act=idx :idea:

There were some models w/hei ign's. meaning you could trash the computer and run a vac/adv dizzy for the sparks and timing for a small one I sugest , http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/ , most 3.8 came with a MAFC  if computer operated.